• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oh no, Neon tetra disease

Etherelda

and I think it has spread to my rams- two golden and two blue. I wonder if it can affect apple snails to, as these seem to be acting strange at the moment. I'd better go get the net......

Neon Tetra disease can't affect cichlids. You may have had some rams of poorer quality that have succumbed to a general bacterial disease but without seeing the fish it's impossible to say. NTD is a very specfic disease of characins.

Your fish were dying as a result of a bacterial disease. Neon tetra disease is very rare and is usually blamed. It sounds like you have had a problem with a cilliate protazoan called tetrahymena. This does not affect all fish and would explain why some fish do not die. This protazoan then weakens the fishes immune system and allows f.columnaris to take hold. This bacteria starts at the caudal fin and works its way up to body.

Back