• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oase Biomaster Users: Has anyone tried Concave upgrades?

Hi Martin, I used the new pre-filter tubes (Part number 45163 and 45166 for larger filter) and the concave plate (Part number 93136) for both. Do you have the part number of the other part? I don't have it so must have missed it!
Hi FrozenShivers - thank you.

There were two links at the start of the thread, one for the part you've installed and the the other for:

Oase concave motor upgrade plate kit

I'd assumed they were separate parts but I may be wrong?

Cheers
Martin

I’m not sure now but wasn’t there an upgrade to the pump cover?

IMG_0889.jpeg

Hi FrozenShivers - thank you.

There were two links at the start of the thread, one for the part you've installed and the the other for:

Oase concave motor upgrade plate kit

I'd assumed they were separate parts but I may be wrong?

Cheers
Martin

You're welcome, I think that's just the backside view of the plate that I got :)

I’m not sure now but wasn’t there an upgrade to the pump cover?

Not sure either, if there was then I didn't purchase one. I can't find any blurbs anywhere saying it's new and improved though.

There were two separate upgrades:
  1. Pump cover
  2. Head Plate
In my case, the Oase unit bought in June 2023 had the new pump cover already installed but not the new head plate.

As an aside, since using the Oase units for one year, I am fast concluding that they are indeed good at achieving good water clarity, but really could have been quite exceptional with some design modifications.

Oase could have created a slightly larger footprint to increase the media capacity and could have improved the pump turnover rate.

I've had a Oase Biomaster 600 on my heavily-planted Aquael 240 since early November. Like many others here, I've had issues with it purging air. It's done so much more than any Eheim, Tetratec or Fluval canister filter that I've had.

About a month ago, this purging stopped. It co-incided with me doing something I'd foolishly neglected; I put my hand in the tank, and cleared away the debris clinging to the filter intake tube. Immediately, the flow increased, much to my embarrassment, given how long I've been fishkeeping! As I say, the other effect was to more-or-less eliminate the air purging.

Now, I know what many might say at this point; correlation isn't causation. It might simply be a co-incidence. It might simply be that, after all these months, the filter has bedded in.

We'll see. The Oase does suffer from complication, insofar as it has so many sealing rings that can go wrong, and let in air or let out water. On the other hand, it's the most impressive canister filter I've ever had. Its prefilter system is a thing of wonder.

There were two separate upgrades:
  1. Pump cover
  2. Head Plate
In my case, the Oase unit bought in June 2023 had the new pump cover already installed but not the new head plate.

Interesting, do you know if the new pump cover has a new part number? Do you know what the update changes to improve?

I sometimes look at components like impeller covers to see if the design allows the best possible flow rate.
On at least one filter I remember carefully removing some “flash” to hopefully improve things.

It would be nice to see what the difference in appearance is between the old and new pump cover.
I have an "old" Biomaster 600 in storage. I checked the pump cover against the Olibetta picture posted above, and the design looks the same. The only difference I could notice was that the plastic looks a slightly different colour. (But that could just be an artifact of the lighting in the picture).

Now, I know what many might say at this point; correlation isn't causation. It might simply be a co-incidence.
I have experienced the same thing multiple times with my Oase 350. My theory is that when the inlet gets clogged, the pressure inside the filter drops, as the pump is sucking water and it is not coming, and that forces air through whatever leak there is, from the outside to the inside.

It was actually my tell for when to clean the inlet, the filter would always start burping air.

For some reason, after a few years of this behavior, it mostly stopped. It's been a long time since I've had filter burps. I'm not sure what changed, but I'm not complaining.

I contacted Oase to try and get some info for us if the pump cover has been changed, if so, what does the updated unit do differently, will update when/if I get a response.

Well I got a reply, sadly it wasn't very helpful...

"Thank you for contacting us regarding your BioMaster, the underside of the filter lid has changed, dependant when you purchased it you may have the new style lid, the main difference is the underside is now slightly concaved this encourages any trapped air to be released quicker to help prevent any air locks or random air purging from the filter the order number for this is 93136"

....:shifty:

I’m fairly sure my notion that there was an updated version was garnered from a comment on this forum somewhere? I think we can probably trust what Oase have said though.

Hi Martin, I used the new pre-filter tubes (Part number 45163 and 45166 for larger filter) and the concave plate (Part number 93136) for both. Do you have the part number of the other part? I don't have it so must have missed it!
After our discussion at the UKAPS Horizon Aquatics event, I too have got this on order to try out, will let you all know how I get on

Great! I hope you see similar improvements that I did :)
Mine seems to have made it worse 🫤 I’ve tried to refit it multiple times, but had enough for tonight now, so will see if it beds in. I left it for 30 mins, but soon as I nudged filter it purged loads off air, then I had to keep slanting it to remove more air. Will see if it improves 🤞

Mine seems to have made it worse 🫤 I’ve tried to refit it multiple times, but had enough for tonight now, so will see if it beds in. I left it for 30 mins, but soon as I nudged filter it purged loads off air, then I had to keep slanting it to remove more air. Will see if it improves 🤞
Yep, when I bought the Biomaster 350 a few weeks ago it had this new plate in it and the same symptoms. I am not convinced this is doing much good, but all the new units have them as standard.

My 250's are air free - well, they are not making any sounds anyway.

Back