• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oase Biomaster Pro 2 - Comming Soon

Bradders

The next generation of Oase Biomaster (Pro 2) is coming.

From what I can see, the main features are:
  • 20-25% increase in flow performance.
  • Improvements to maintenance of various parts of the unit.
  • Changes to the piping colour and spray bar. (More of a glassware look).
It looks like Oase just upgraded and changed components within the confines of the current footprint. This is a shame, as I would have liked to see the small footprint increase slightly to enable more media containment.

Nigel Farage says it best:
739562c685d660ad66af22f23e6171c5.jpg

(Edit - clarify, boring from Oase, I was quite excited by this post to see they were developing something new)

I’m a massive Oase fan (I have three) but this feels like a marketing gimmick more than actual innovation on their part.

Admittedly, they’ve got a great design already but this feels like a missed opportunity to create a connected canister filter with some great tech in it like flow and temp sensors.

This might seem gimmicky (especially with every single thing having an app these days) but consider some of the benefits like:
1. Warnings if flow drops or changes drastically in a short period of time - catch leaks and detect when cleaning is required)
2. Warnings if temps overshoot a desired range (admittedly this is a more pressing issue in warmer climes - my lounge can get to 35C in summer).

Last edited:
I do agree. It is coming across as a bit of fanfare about nothing.
Max flow of the 600 is 1250Ltr for both the old and new version, so struggling to see the improvement.
Maybe you get closer to that 1250L/hr figure now?!

Although, I am becoming stronger in my belief that the turnover of a filter (in terms of cleaning the water) isn't as important as we are led to belive. The problem comes down to when you need flow for plants, and a weaker filter flow means you have to have more gear in your aquarium to create that flow.

Last edited:
I’m very much of the belief that Oase know exactly what they’re doing with their filters. I love mine. It’s a filter, not a flow creating device. Seems to be loads of people wanting to push more water through them and have more media. 45ppi foam has a surface area of something like 1,600 m2 per m3. That’s the size of eight tennis courts! Something like K1 biomedia has half that. I think people would be surprised by just how much waste a foam filled canister can handle. BUT it needs a certain dwell time, so trying to push more water past the media, or having vast amounts of media, is counterproductive. Select the right size filter for your volume of water, and add other pumps to generate more flow. Don’t try to get your filter to do two jobs.

Hi all,
....... 45ppi foam has a surface area of something like 1,600 m2 per m3. That’s the size of eight tennis courts! Something like K1 biomedia has half that.
Honestly surface area is a total red herring, realistically dissolved oxygen is the only parameter that counts.

I've had the good / misfortune to visit a lot of sewage works and if you can treat raw sewage without any permanent filter media, but with a huge amount of churn, you can definitely do the same with aquariums.

Kaldnes K1 media was developed for the waste water industry and floating cell media is overwhelming the weapon of choice in aquaculture etc. This is mainly because the media is designed to shed excess biofilm and retain an optimal depth for nitrification.
I think people would be surprised by just how much waste a foam filled canister can handle.
Yes, nitrification is almost never limited by physical space. The reason that a lot of canister filters work at a fraction of their capacity is just that the water becomes deoxygenated in the canister and then oxygen can't be replenished in a sealed container.
BUT it needs a certain dwell time, so trying to push more water past the media, or having vast amounts of media, is counterproductive.
That is also an untruth peddled by the vendors of aquarium filter material. It is true for the anaerobic denitrification of nitrate (NO3-), but the reason for that is back to oxygen.

Cheers Darrel

Sumps all the way 😀
I had one Oase filter on my small aquarium, need to clean it every month, otherwise flow just gone.
Sump max 2 times per year.
Not necessarily. I’ve not opened my Biomaster 600 for a good 4 months now. Just need to clean the prefilter every two weeks or so. That’s a simple enough job.

I am really unconvinced of the need for a filter in a mature planted aquarium. If you take out all the filter media and just keep the flow does anything obviously bad happen?
I am not so sure because of the number of variables. For example, if you have a heavily planted aquarium + heavy fish stocking + very strong light, I think you need all the help you can get. i.e. great plant mass and a filter.

I have been examining the technology versus plant approaches and coming to the conclusion that, depending on the variables, there is a very good use case for both. It feels more like technology in a planted aquarium is a very good adjunct to plant mass, adds contingency, adds flow, and supports a more stable aquarium. Which is quite a step forward for me! As I was the 'Technology Approach' camp before meeting all you great people!! 😀

I am really unconvinced of the need for a filter in a mature planted aquarium. If you take out all the filter media and just keep the flow does anything obviously bad happen?

I’d tend to agree with you in terms of the smaller tanks - the small water volumes and filters volumes mean that there really isn’t much in the way of filter media for filtration, and the water changes remove the majority of waste anyways.

Larger tanks do get some level of benefit from the filtration aspect in my experience. As you cannot get all the waste in a single water change, and the filtration volume is a lot larger for helping with the waste control.

Back