• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nutrient Dosing Calculator

Hi all,
Welcome to UKAPS
I'm just wondering why is Ammonium Phosphate not included in the compound selection?
It is literally just the ammonium (NH4) content. I haven't looked, but I'm guessing ammonium nitrate (NH4NO3) isn't listed either and for the same reason. If you didn't have any livestock? Either would be fine

If you take the best case scenario of monoammonium phosphate ((NH4)(H2PO4)) it contains 12% elemental nitrogen (N) and 27% elemental phosphorus (P). Because the form of Total Ammoniacal Nitrogen (TAN) is <"pH dependent"> that ammonium (NH4+) can become ammonia (NH3) and you have to be very careful about ammonia toxicity.

You can use dipotassium (K2HPO4) and/or monopotassium phosphate (KH2PO4), and the have a useful (and non toxic) cation potassium (K+) and anion phosphate (PO4---). Using potassium nitrate (KNO3) (or even urea (CO(NH2)2)) allows you to add fixed nitrogen in a safer form etc.

cheers Darrel

I haven't looked, but I'm guessing ammonium nitrate (NH4NO3) isn't listed either and for the same reason.
It is actually listed.

But yes, unless one knows what one is doing, it is best to keep away from ammonium compounds which can lead to catastrophic consequences, fauna wise.

Back