• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Now I’m confused [emoji1745]‍[emoji3603] what substrate?

newscaper

e7f7d8f80e2252b91d0a30fa9593cd91.jpg

So I’m going to completely replace my substrate

I have a mixture of Black quartz and “volcanic” nutrient type stuff? The volcanic substrate was meant to be ‘natural’ brown but is in fact bright orange.

Don’t like orange .... at all! Plants seem to be ok with it though.

My question is what substrate to go for?

I think my requirements are,

Natural dark colour
Suitable for majority of plants
Long lasting
Not super expensive

Tanks about 130l and I’m looking to go high back left to low front levelling towards the right.

Tropica’s my thinking but there are so many options other than that I’m well and truly confused.

I rekon I will need about 20 litres of what ever I go for.

What do peeps recommend? Should I mix substrate or just stick with one?

Thanks for any input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

e7f7d8f80e2252b91d0a30fa9593cd91.jpg

So I’m going to completely replace my substrate

I have a mixture of Black quartz and “volcanic” nutrient type stuff? The volcanic substrate was meant to be ‘natural’ brown but is in fact bright orange.

Don’t like orange .... at all! Plants seem to be ok with it though.

My question is what substrate to go for?

I think my requirements are,

Natural dark colour
Suitable for majority of plants
Long lasting
Not super expensive

Tanks about 130l and I’m looking to go high back left to low front levelling towards the right.

Tropica’s my thinking but there are so many options other than that I’m well and truly confused.

I rekon I will need about 20 litres of what ever I go for.

What do peeps recommend? Should I mix substrate or just stick with one?

Thanks for any input.

How about this??

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/352403692070

Hi
U can use alfagrog,lava rock or coarse gravel in bags to build height and cap Tropica soil on top of it.It will save U some cash and have a good tested substrate
Regards Konsa

Hi
U can use alfagrog,lava rock or coarse gravel in bags to build height and cap Tropica soil on top of it.It will save U some cash and have a good tested substrate
Regards Konsa

That’s perfect thank you. That’s what I wasn’t sure on as for some reason I was thinking the rich nutrient level should be the base layer or at least that’s how it appears on the many YouTube clips I’ve watched.

Would it not be beneficial for the plant roots to grow into the tropica / tetra / Ada substrate though?

Excuse my ignorance, I’m only basing my assumptions on what I’ve seen and advice from local fish shops.

Hi
The suggestions that I gave are based on the fact that the medium on bottom will be coarse (1,5 cm plus ),inert and bits of the tropica soil will inevitably mix in.The plants will not care if only 5cm of your substrate is fertile tbh they can take up nutrients perfectly well with their leaves too.The info about fertile substrate put on bottom is mostly related to the soil type of additives that need to be separeted by capping with other medium(coarse sand) from the water column like Tropica growth substrate ,Tetra complete substrate or even Westlant aquatic compost from the garden centre all basically dirt that will mud the water.

Hi
The suggestions that I gave are based on the fact that the medium on bottom will be coarse (1,5 cm plus ),inert and bits of the tropica soil will inevitably mix in.The plants will not care if only 5cm of your substrate is fertile tbh they can take up nutrients perfectly well with their leaves too.The info about fertile substrate put on bottom is mostly related to the soil type of additives that need to be separeted by capping with other medium(coarse sand) from the water column like Tropica growth substrate ,Tetra complete substrate or even Westlant aquatic compost from the garden centre all basically dirt that will mud the water.

Ah I see.

That’s saved me a fortune on substrate! I’ll go ahead and build up the base layer then add in tetra or prosacpe ect.

Should look a whole lot better when done and hopefully better for the plants too.

Back