• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Novice Trigon 190 from absolute blank canvas...

LancsRick

Right, so I'm going to try and do a slightly different journal to the offerings that I've seen thus far on the site (although if it's been done before please let me know!). Rather than this being a finished picture of "my first tank", or a new setup with an experienced user, I'm hoping to do a journal from pre-tank right through to established product (hopefully a successful one!).

So, what have I got to work with to start with?
- Trigon 190 tank, with standard pump, filter, heater, T8 lighting
- Soft/Very Soft water (need to check exact hardness)
- The vague memories of keeping tropical fish as a youngster
- Time (one week of holiday!!)

And what do I want to achieve with this?
- Minimal maintenance
- No adding of CO2 if possible (cost and maintenance)
- Habitat for fish/inverts
- Aesthetically pleasing (lounge feature)

Step One: Starting the learning and the planning
Once I started looking at planted tanks I realised I had failed just grasp just how much I didn’t know. All the different styles that were available, all the different techniques, I didn’t even know they existed, let alone the pros and cons of each. I also realised that although the corner tank perfectly suited by room requirements, they appeared to have a reputation for being difficult to aquascape – nothing like starting at the deep end!

Of all the research I did for inspiration, the most useful one I found was a thread on UKAPS by JohnC who has re-scaped his corner tank multiple times, and some of his work I loved.

Really like the short grass at the front in this picture (JohnC's tank) http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj30 ... G_3122.jpg . [EDIT - blyxa japonica]

There's a long stemmed small flat leafed green plant in the front left foreground by the driftwood – no idea what it is, but I like it! http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj30 ... CF2388.jpg (JohnC's tank) In the same picture, the vivid red long leafed plant which is central in the picture.

Really like the look of weeping moss for use on some driftwood.

The tall green plant in the back right could be a good background… http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj30 ... g21sep.jpg

I also did a fair bit of reading on substrates and tutorials on planted tanks, some of which answered questions, some of which just generated more. It gave me ideas to pull together an initial proposal though to post in this journal and then get some critique on (have I mentioned this is going to be a bit of an interactive journal log?!).

Step Two: Proposal Mark One…

Substrate choice was probably the easiest one to narrow down at this point, and the result is Tesco Lightweight Low Dust Cat Litter (aka Moller clay). I’m going to need about 40 litres of this, and it will need thoroughly rinsing before I put it in the tank to remove the perfume. It’ll give me a nice terracotta colour to work against, so I want to keep the plants in the foreground quite vivid to give a contrast. This will be around 2 inches at the front, moving to 3inches+ at the rear of the tank.
I’m very keen on some of the plants from JohnC’s tank, so I’m going to look to ID those. I’m also going to put some Java Moss in the foreground to ease the “grass” (ID tbc) transition into the substrate, and there will be an area of bare substrate at the front to give some openness.
I’m going to include some driftwood as the focal point (golden rule positioned), with plants around it and moss on it to soften its presence.
Now to ID those plants and see if they’re suitable for no added CO2 and my water hardness…

Re: Novice Trigon 350 from absolute blank canvas...

Will do! Any help with ID'ing those other plants I liked the look of so I can check their suitability would be hugely appreciated!

I'm an abysmal gardener on dry land, so I'm hoping I might be more successful underwater :lol:

Good places to lok up plants are the Tropica website and Aquaessentials as they list the Aquafleur plants. They often have pics and descriptions etc.

Hope it helps,

Andy

Hi, looks like youve done some homework which is always a good start mate. From what ive read about corner tanks the issue isnt so much the scaping but acheiving good flow throughout the tank which is critical for plant health and algae bashing.
As for substrate, ive never used cat litter but people seem to like it. Another possibility for you would be akadama bonsai soil, also moler clay but no perfumes to consider. http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/akadama.htm
Personally im using akadama ATM but too early to draw any opinions on it. Personally i wouldnt want it as bare substrate at the front (simarlarly cat litter), i find the terracotta colour doesnt contrast very well with the plants, you could look into sand/gravel at the front but has a tendancy to mix with substrate over time so you might want to also look at something black or at a soil substrate topped with sand or gravel? http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=11579

Plants -
Blyxa Japonica is co2 hungry, im unsure if it can be successful in low tech tanks.
Green forground plant - if im looking at the right plant then i think it is anubias barteri, all anubias are in there element in low tech tanks.
Green background plant is Echinodorus amazonicus, common name amazon sword. This grows big and is a heavy root feeder.

Some homework for you, not complete but a good starting point :thumbup:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/foru ... tanks.html

Personally ive very jealous of people with soft water :arghh:

I'm so glad that I've found this site. Huge thanks for all the comments and advice there, although I'm really saddened to find that the japonica is CO2 hungry - time to do some reading and find out what looks similar but will survive in low tech!

Off to collect the tank later :D

I'm so glad that I've found this site. Huge thanks for all the comments and advice there, although I'm really saddened to find that the japonica is CO2 hungry - time to do some reading and find out what looks similar but will survive in low tech!

Off to collect the tank later :D

So having done that reading, some googling, and a bit more reading, I think I'm going to get a selection of the following and play around in the tank to get a feel for what does and doesn't work.

Foreground
E. tennelus
Monosolenium tenerum

Mid / Around wood or rock
Anubias nana
Monosolenium tenerum
Crypt Wendtii
Anubias barteri v. 'glabra'

Background

Echinodorus amazonicus

that list looks good, id would advise to try not to make too much of a scape to start with. Hardscape will invariably interfere with your flow which is your challenge, keep it simple, figure out which plants work for you then build from that. Its a mistake i and many others make/made by trying intricate hardscaping before we understood what makes plants tick and how to acheive that while avoiding algae.

There seems to be a lot of movement towards lower tech tanks at the moment following the success of a few talented aquarists. Have a look at 'Toms Bucket of mud' for all the low tech inspiration you could want.
http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14521.

Also the vallis species is a good low tech plant in taller tanks and looks good with swords which also has the benefit of diffusing light nicely, although can need to be beaten back from time to time.

You will takes some knocks along the way but you'll have a blast learning. Just expect everyone around you to look at you like your crazy just because you have made a plant grow :)

Well I'm going to need a mod to change this thread title to "Trigon 190" rather than "350" - it was clearly the smaller of the two when I went to collect, with T8 lighting rather than T5! Long story short though, I've come away with a LOT of additional material, probably £30 of filter media, sack of gravel, chemical tests, treatments and other sundry items, so it all came good in the end. I paid £250, feel that's a fairly good price.

Also paid my LFS a visit - quickly realised they aren't clued up on plants at all really, although they had a pretty broad marine stock which surprised me. Either way, I think I'm going to be getting my plants from online, so the card is at the ready!

I suspect I should probably start tidying up my lounge now...

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f141/ ... -00139.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f141/ ... -00140.jpg

I would like to try Tennelus in my low tech tank so will see how you get on with it. As some further low tech forground plants for you to consider I use Cryptocoryne Parva. Its a lovely hardy little crypt that spreads by putting out runners. You can buy it in pots and seperate out the individual plantlets.

The tank is clearing, and I've managed to dig out a load of my substrate when I filled the tank, so I'll have to rearrange that in a bit. My water tests show that my pH is around 7-7.5, and I've got a water hardness of <1dH, so very definitely soft (as expected).

Now to read up on what that means in terms of fert requirements etc...

Well what a good day today turned out to be!

Having been disappointed with my LFS the other day, I trotted off to a slightly less local LFS, and was delighted with the service I got. The icing on the cake though was that upon testing my ammonia, nitrites and nitrates at the shop, it would appear that my endeavours with quickly setting up the tank a few hours after stripping, and re-using the old gravel and few litres of water from the old tank have paid off, as all parameters were spot on!

So I've now added some reflectors to the T8s, which has made a massive difference, and I've also put in a small number of plants and a small shoal of cardinal tetras to gradually start building the tank up (I was all set to wait for 4 weeks whilst the tank cycled, so I'm more than a little chuffed!).

So, the pictures are at the bottom of this post, but what have I put in exactly?

- Java Moss onto the bogwood, with some cotton thread for the time being
- Anubius barteri var nana at the left of the bogwood
- Anubius barteri var caladiifolia to the right of the bogwood (this wasn't on my list, but looked stunning in the shop)
- Microsorum pteropus at the rear
- Hygrophila corymbosa at the rear

I really struggled to keep the substrate below the gravel, but I'm not going to worry too much at this stage - i can always skim the gravel off later and re-lay it.

The fish shop also gave me a spare copy of the Tropica catalogue, which is a veritable plant bible in my eyes, not to mention an attractive publication. I was much more comfortable with their level of knowledge and advice since they had several planted tanks established and running in the shop for display, rather than just "holding" tanks for sale items.

I will add more plants and fish, but I'm going to do it bit by bit so I don't crash the tank - another couple of plants and couple of fish in 2 weeks or so I reckon at the earliest. Since they're a Tropica supplier they can easily get in the E. Tennelus I was after which will be good.

Oh, and the cat loves this hobby. Little blighter stole one of my plants whilst I was planting and hid it at the other side of the house!!

P.S. I'm running my tank at 22C as that's what I always previously ran my tropical tanks at. Any reason to vary from this in a planted tank? I haven't been able to find any definitive statements on it with my reading. Thanks.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f141/ ... -00147.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f141/ ... -00143.jpg

It's cleared! Starting to look like a fishtank...

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f141/ ... 010022.jpg

As you can probably figure out, I'm going to use the wood as the focal point, and tall plants to screen the pump at the rear. The front right is going to have some grass planted, blending into moss, blending into bare gravel.

hey Rick, Trigons are very difficult to aquascape, this is a given due to there shapes. Saying that they aren't impossible. I started off with a Trigon and enjoyed trying new things with it. The hardest this to crack was the flow issues, as trying to push water around every angle in a trigon it quite difficult. It's also worth investing £80 in a T5 unit for the Trigon as it's quite deep.

I have a few journals on here with the trigon, going from complete beginner, to some kind of nearly proper aquascape. In these journals i struggle and overcome the flow issues.
this was my first proper attempt at a scape
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12149

heres a couple of vids of what became of the trigon.

ps i'll remove the vids from you thread if wanted. :thumbup:

Thanks for those! Fantastic piece of bogwood in the second one, really nice.

At the moment I've got a couple of extra bits of tubing on the pump output so that it goes along the left hand wall and "just" breaks the surface, enough to give a small number of bubbles. My thinking is that this should set up a circulation around the perimeter of the tank, with a possible deadspot in the front right corner, which is where I'm NOT intending to plant anyways.

No doubt I'll get things wrong, and hopefully I'll learn along the way! I'm trying to decide what fert regime to do now - I've started off with nice healthy plants, it'd be good to keep them that way!

they are great tanks to learn on as you have things stacked against you from the beginning (ie flow and distribution). If you can win in a Trigon, you'll win in any tank.

I'll be keeping tabs on this thread.

Back