• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Not sure.

Jaseon

I have this 45ltr tank run with a sponge filter, and plants grown in, but getting this odd white feathery stuff on the glass, and on the substrate. Also some brown mulm that is only on the substrate, and is thick with it.

Any ideas? was thinking the white stuff might be a fungi of sorts, brown stuff covering the substrate not too sure. It vacuums up easy enough.

20230512_112944.jpg
20230512_112930 (1).jpg

Since I've never seen anything like this (in such an amount), I suppose you must have made some terrible mistake or inserted something unusual in your tank (incl. filter).

Since I've never seen anything like this (in such an amount), I suppose you must have made some terrible mistake or inserted something unusual in your tank (incl. filter).
I too have not seen anything like it either, and i kind of set up all my tanks the same way. The only thing thats different to the other tanks is that stone i have in there. Its a bit like dragon stone, but is unaffected. Its only on the substrate.

The white stuff has to be some sort of fungi?

Some pieces look like melted Limnophila Sessiflora leaves! Also the Ramshorn snail looks to be lacking calcium.

Is this a co2 injected tank? Do you add any ferts at all?

Looks to me like it could be some type of chemical precipitate. Are you adding anything to the water on a (semi) regular basis?
I was adding a small amount TNC complete but not in the last month or so.
Some pieces look like melted Limnophila Sessiflora leaves! Also the Ramshorn snail looks to be lacking calcium.

Is this a co2 injected tank? Do you add any ferts at all?
No co2

45ltr, been running for several months.
Single sponge filter
Basic led lighting on around 6hrs
jbl Substrate capped with gravel
I was dosing a small amount to TNC complete but stopped a month back.
Several lamp eye tetras, and 2 Celestial danios.

Its my father in laws tank that i look after for him, and he has another two that are doing well. Fish are healthy, and eating ok. Water parameters are fine.

Not the best looking of tanks, but thats what he wanted.

20230514_201426.jpg

That looks like some sort of disaster area :oops:
Question: Does your father in law feed the fish heavily?
Second question: Do children have access to this tank?
No i do the feeding. Thing is my father in law has ms and at this moment in time is bed ridden. We have to feed him, and make sure he has his meds, but that a different story.
Or some fungal infection maybe? Coz it looks to me like some floating mycelium or bits of plants covered by it.
The white stuff on the glass, and on the substrate does remind me of mycelium so yeah it seems with this tank the conditions are right for it. Maybe down to the substrate he added when it was first set up.

He has two other tanks. A 90ltr, and a 120. both are thriving, and set up by myself. I do a weekly maintenance on all three then a 50% water change every other week. I have syphoned the substrate, and will do so again in a few days so i am keeping an eye on it.

Back