• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

No chelator in soft water ?

eminor

Hello, I have a 105 gallons tank and a few others to manage, they are dedicated to plants, and buying industrial fertilizer costs too much, I have individual salt to make Micro and I have already made them, each salt have individual bottle, so i can reach any target i want, the salt I have are :

• FeSo4.7H2O
  • MnSO4.H2O
  • H3BO3
  • ZnSo4.H2O
  • CuSo4.5H2O
  • (NH4)6Mo7O24.4H2O
Is it a problem to dose them without any chelator in soft water ?
Without a chelator, PO4 will interact with Fe ? thx
How long will they last in the water ?

The water parameters I use :

• pH : below 7
  • dGH : 2-3
  • dKH : 0

Yes PO4 will react with Fe and precipitate out as plant inaccessible iron phosphate. This is why when using EI dosing, the macro and micro are dosed alternate days to keep the PO4 away from the Fe.

In practice many people dose macro and micro together by using chelated Fe and keeping the pH low and don't have any Fe deficiencies on their plants.

So if possible use chelated Fe, which in practice exposure to high pH in the tank and light and plants it quickly unchelates, but does appear to give plants enough Fe.

I think you will need to try and see. It can be quite hard to induce Fe deficiency in aquatic plants but many people have managed to achieve it on this forum in their various non EI dosing methods:confused:

I think you will need to try and see.
I can confirm that I can live without any chelates in my low-tech tanks with negligible content of bicarbonates as long as pH is under 7. Lean dosing (i.e. low phosphates in water column).
It can be quite hard to induce Fe deficiency in aquatic plants
Can it? I consider iron deficiency quite common, and iron always deserves attention.

Can it? I consider iron deficiency quite common, and iron always deserves attention.
What I have noticed is that in most cases of people complaining of an Fe deficiency in this forum it is because they have a high KH and use a chelator that is not appropriate for their hardness/PH.

What I have noticed is that in most cases of people complaining of an Fe deficiency in this forum it is because they have a high KH and use a chelator that is not appropriate for their hardness/PH.
When I used hard water, around 11 dKH, 17 dGH, i dosed easylife Ferro along with profito which contains DTPA,EDTA, and 2 other iron chelators which i don't remember, rotala always had iron deficiency, as @dw1305 said a lot, rotala are really prone to get iron deficiency. DTPA is supposed to be effective in hard water. Maybe hard water need EDDHA ?

I can confirm that I can live without any chelates in my low-tech tanks with negligible content of bicarbonates as long as pH is under 7. Lean dosing (i.e. low phosphates in water column).
What is lean PO4 level that will reduce the iron phosphates reaction ?

Last edited:
Without a chelator, PO4 will interact with Fe ? thx

Yes, and I think the amounts of PO4 needs to be really low to avoid that. I believe @_Maq_ got some good ballpark figures, if not numbers derived from experiments or science papers ?

• pH : below 7
How much below? The logarithmic nature of pH can make a 6.9 and say 6.1 quite different environments in terms of chemical interactions.

Cheers,
Michael

I front load 4 µM H3PO4 (cca 0.38 mg/L PO4) with water change, and dose iron several days later.

DTPA is supposed to be effective in hard water. Maybe hard water need EDDHA ?
It's dependent on your PH. Here you go:
file-TjRiGNYWdw.png

DTPA is supposed to be effective in hard water. Maybe hard water need EDDHA ?
Hi,
Remember that EDDHA iron will make your water look pinkish/reddish from 0,1 ppm or so. It is usually used as a really small fraction of the total iron in some fertilizers.
I believe that FeSO4 will precipitate almost instantly, with or without PO4(3-), I would go at least for Fe Gluconate or Fe-EDTA.
It's fine to use Mn/Zn/Cu sulfate, but you should follow recipe and dosage that use them too, those with Mn/Zn/Cu-EDTA are quite different.

Has anyone actually observed a legitimate iron deficiency that was remedied by changing the chelator but keeping the overall level of Fe dosing the same? I ask because my low tech setup has Cambridgeshire water with dKH 17 and equilibrium pH around 9.1, and I dose Fe-EDTA 0.2 ppm once weekly and haven't noticed anything I would call an iron deficiency even though if anyone should be seeing one because of 'wrong choice of chelator' it's probably me. People injecting CO2 will have pH more compatible with a variety of chelators so not really any issues there either...

Has anyone actually observed a legitimate iron deficiency that was remedied by changing the chelator
I think @Hufsa in her journal described such a situation.
Anyway, I think the question of availability of multiple nutrients is much more complex than theory (stability of chelates depending on pH, and similar charts) suggests when it comes to biological systems. The substrate with its microbial community is quite mighty and unpredictable player here. I derive this opinion from my practical observations. I'm using RODI water, don't feed any animals, so, in theory, I should know rather well the mineral composition of water in my tanks. Still, the reality is often surprising.

We're discussing iron. In general, microbes are very hungry for iron, and in the nature, they are often indispensable in transforming iron into a chemical form which enables plants to take it up. Yet they seek iron primarily for their own consumption. If the mass of microbes is increasing, I believe they can very well induce a lack of iron in the tank. And vice versa.
I suspect that the mere organic mass in the substrate (living and dead) is a great reservoir of all essential elements. It's also probably one of the reasons for which we see older tanks as more stable.

I believe that FeSO4 will precipitate almost instantly, with or without PO4(3-), I would go at least for Fe Gluconate or Fe-EDTA.
It's fine to use Mn/Zn/Cu sulfate, but you should follow recipe and dosage that use them too, those with Mn/Zn/Cu-EDTA are quite different.
Better buy chelated iron, but maybe i'll try and discover, could be a good experiment

Last edited:
Remember that EDDHA iron will make your water look pinkish/reddish from 0,1 ppm or so. It is usually used as a really small fraction of the total iron in some fertilizers.
Just adding in another option here, but I switched to using EDDHSA as the chelator (link) with great success. I've dosed it upto 1ppm when I was experimenting with dosage, and now I just dose 0.15ppm per week. It doesn't stain the water anywhere near as much as regular EDDHA. Even when I was dosing 1ppm it barely changed the water colour. At my current 0.15ppm, I can't tell the difference.

FeSo4 and Fe gluconate should be present in ferrous form when dissolved in water, they should behave similarly, why do you think Fe Gluconate is better than FeSo4?

Has anyone actually observed a legitimate iron deficiency that was remedied by changing the chelator but keeping the overall level of Fe dosing the same?
I think @Hufsa in her journal described such a situation.
Ah no, I tried different chelators but it didnt make a difference for me, because it was actually a Manganese deficiency.
I think @KirstyF might have had success with switching iron chelators though.
But @Andy Pierce makes a good point, there is a lot of "supposing" going around and not quite as much "knowing" when it comes to iron chelators.
I personally havent seen a lot of super clear evidence of different chelate effectiveness while dosing the same amount, aside from maybe Kirsty's experiments.
I suspect it might be a little over-emphasised in some circumstances.
Some people even seem to make completely unchelated trace mixes on purpose (well obviously on purpose but), because even though it is more easily lost to precipitation, it is said that the plants also uptake it more easily. Usually these would be recommended to be daily dosed.
Im guessing the softer the water, the less phosphate in the water column, and the more frequent the dosing, the more viable unchelated or weakly chelated become to use.

Yes PO4 will react with Fe and precipitate out as plant inaccessible iron phosphate. This is why when using EI dosing, the macro and micro are dosed alternate days to keep the PO4 away from the Fe.
I dont really buy the alternate days dosing, especially in EI cases. With EI dosing there will be significant amounts of phosphate in the water at all times, not just on days they are dosed.
So sure it might be a little bit more phosphate in the water on "macro" days, but still a whole lot of it will be left when "micro" day comes around.
So in my opinion they are not really kept away from each other. I think even Tom Barr has admitted that the alternate day thing was more of a "make things as foolproof as possible" deal than actually something that is necessary. For me I want to keep the concentrated(undiluted) solutions of macro and micro away from each other, but as soon as they have been distributed in the water column its pretty much fair game.
It can be quite hard to induce Fe deficiency in aquatic plants
Its really not hard at all :oops:?
but many people have managed to achieve it on this forum in their various non EI dosing methods:confused:
Unsubstantiated statement in my opinion. This forum has quite a lot of threads from EI users who have pale plant tops and most of the threads seem to resolve themselves once the focus on iron is brought up.
Iron deficiency is not a "non EI" thing 😅 Iron deficiency is a "trying to keep iron plant available in water thing". No need for the "us vs them" stirring of the pot, especially on such thin grounds 😉

The choice of chelators means a lot if you have water that is less than ideal... there are no two ways about it. I have the luxury of being in full control of my water so I do not have to worry (I dose ~0.03 ppm equivalents weekly in both my densely planted low-tech tanks and have zero Fe deficiency), but people who don't needs to.

With inappropriate Fe chelators especially combined with too much P it's quite easy to run into Iron deficiency which unfortunately often just make people pummel their tanks with more Fe - the wrong approach. Of course, given the immobility of Fe, deficiency will take a while to show as it will only show in new growth and then the damage is already done and is irreversible. So let's not diss or downplay the importance of chelators. :)

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Come on John, how can you actually know that for a fact? ;)
My bad, its not a fact, merely an observation.

Maybe somebody has fixed a Fe deficiency by simply changing the chelate, but maintaining the same dose, and keeping all the other parameters the same. 🤷‍♂️

Back