• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Newbie D-D Co2 setup

cptdavep

Seedling
Hi first post, hopefully first of many as setting up a planted tank...

I've just taken delivery of a pressurised D&D Co2 setup (the one on aquaessentials) currently nervously trying to set it up - slightly scared of playing with a 600g CO2 bottle...

Anyway, I've attached all the pluming to the bottle as per the instructions, but when I screwed it onto the bottle I didn't hear the hissing sound the instructions tell me to expect, and the pressure gauge still reads zero. Have I done something wrong and is it safe to remove the bottle and try again?

Also the solenoid makes a buzzing noise when plugged into the mains. Is this normal?

Anyone got experience with these they can pass on to a nervous newbee?

Cheers!

I have one of these but haven't had the problems you mention (although am having plenty of others which I can describe if you like). Re: lack of pressure, I'm sure you have but just in case, you did remove the rubber cap from the top of the bottle?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Yes I did, managed to fix it by unscrewing it from the bottle and then tightening it up, seems fine now. The solenoid however still sounds like an electric touthbrush...

What problems have you had?

Come to think of it I do remember a buzzing noise when plugging the thing in but never that loud. Problems I've got are:

- Regulator is quite warm. Not too hot to touch or anything but still warm. I'm assuming the heat is coming from the solenoid. May be no big deal but given that there's pressurised gas running through there it doesn't seem that safe.
- I found the diffuser rubbish. Swapped it out almost immediately for an acrylic sera number which is very good.
- Going through the cans faster than I expected. Using up one every 2 months at between 1 and 2 bps. Maybe this is normal though.
- Because of the lack of a second dial you can get caught out when it runs out. Not a fault per se, just a lack of spec.
- Main problem is fluctuations in rate. Usually fine when the can is full but once it gets down to half full it comes on at a different rate each day. Usually lower but sometimes higher. Have had to readjust needle valve each day. However, when it gets down to one third full it fluctuates over the day. This has been fairly nightmarish. Has led to BBA and, worse, fish death when it's gone up unexpectedly and I've come home to find the drop checker yellow.

I may have a faulty regulator so you might be fine. Still, keep an eye on how much it's pumping out each day after the first few weeks to make sure it's not fluctuating.

Back