• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Newbie Aquascape (update)

stuwags

Seedling
Hi there,

This journal is my first real post to the forum so I hope it's not too long :oops:

Feel free to comment. I'll update as the tank progresses :thumbup:

History

I had some experience from about 20 years ago with a 6’ x 2’ x 2’ community tank and a few smaller tanks. The emphasis was on fish (mostly community) and a a few plants to fill up the space!

20 years later and a move to a new location prompted the desire to have a planted tank set-up. I was inspired by the look of the Dutch aquariums and thought I’d have a go. After discovering the concept of a natural ‘low tech’ set up the idea appealed to me as a low cost easy way back in to the hobby.

The tank I ended up with is 48” x 18” x 15” on a cabinet, which I found second-hand for £100. It came with an internal textured background, a heater and a lid which I decided I’d discard and go for hanging lights. I picked up a 36” Aqua One hood with 3 x 39 watt T5 fluorescent tubes cheaply from my LFS (Aquamania in Eastbourne, East Sussex) and hung it above my newly positioned tank.

Initially my plan was to have an ‘El Natural” set-up with no filter or CO2. As a consequence I had a compost substrate capped with 2-3-mm gravel.

The aquascaping was very basic and not very effective. I had a selection of about eleven different plants to start the tank off and once the tank was up and running for a week or so I started adding fish over the next few months.

I ended up with: 5 Corydoras julli
5 Bolivian Rams
20 Neon Tetras
20 Pretty Tetras
5 Otocinclus affinis
5 Leopard Danios

Having discovered UKAPS the bug started to hit and I became envious of the lush plant growth and aquascapes I could see other people had achieved! As a consequence I decided to abandon ‘El Natural” and go high tech!

I purchased a JBL CristalProfi 1500lph canister and a JBL Proflora u402 CO2 set-up. To increase flow rate I also bought a Hydor 900 powerhead and an internal Fluval 1200lph Filter.

Unfortunately, over the next 2 years, due to inexperience and lack of discipline (especially with the CO2) the tank deteriorated and became over run with algae and poor plant growth and was looking very sorry for itself!

I decided it was time for a strip down and a re-scape. After extensive reading at the UKAPS forums (special thanks to ceg4048 for his no-nonsense, common sense informed posts)! I was inspired to ‘get it right’ this time and planned my new tank set-up.

Time for some hard work, planning and a little patience I think!

On to the re-scape.

Strip Down and Re-scape

The old set-up was stripped down after having moved the fish to a large plastic container with about 10 gallons of tank water. The filters were used to cycle the water in the container and to keep the filter bacteria happy.

The old gravel and compost substrate were removed and the tank was given a thorough clean. The internal backing was removed and the silicone glue was scraped from the rear glass with a razor blade. The backing was a great place to grow algae and disrupted the flow of water around the tank. It also made the tank quite dark and reduced the tank width by about 2”. The glass was cleaned with a diluted bleach solution and then rinsed and dried.

I decided, after reading quite a few post on the subject at the UKAPS forum, to go for a cat litter substrate. I used ‘Spohisticat Pink’ non-clumping litter at £10 for 30L, a bargain price for so much gravel. It is scented and very dusty so required much rinsing.

The Hardscape

For the hardscape I planned on using two pieces of bog wood and a couple of rocks from my old set-up, with the addition of a few more rocks sourced from Aquamania. The wood and stones from the old set-up had to be thoroughly cleaned as they were all covered in algae. I soaked them in a bleach solution and then used a scrubbing brush to remove the algae before soaking and rinsing in clean water.

My plan for the hardscape was to have a raised section with rock, use the wood to give some height further along the tank (roughly following the 1/3s idea) and leave some open area to grow a carpet. You can see my endeavours in the above photo. I left the tank open and empty for a couple of days to live with the layout as I didn’t want to get a few weeks down the line and want to start moving things about. It also allowed the last of the scent from the cat litter to dissipate.

61465448.jpg

90317149.jpg

14467614.jpg

My next task was to position the tank hardware to be as inconspicuous as I could and get good water flow and CO2 distribution. I decide to use a spray bar so that I could get a more even water flow across the tank. As I would also be injecting the CO2 via the filter intake it would also aid in CO2 distribution. As the bar was going to be longer than the JBL bar supplied with the filter I would also use two power-heads, to make up for the loss in pressure from the longer bar and obviously increase water flow. I was particularly keen to ensure that I had good flow along the substrate to give myself a better chance of getting a carpet to grow.

I fashioned a spray bar from some 16 mm aquarium tube and used a paired down cork to plug the end not connected to the filter pipe. The bar traverses the width of the tank with a couple of inches at each end to allow me to fit a powerhead at each end of the tank. The inlet and outlet pipes, heater and CO2 diffuser will all be placed in the back-right hand corner to be hidden by plant, rock and the raised bed.

54708685.jpg

77710167.jpg

Planting

Now came the fun bit, the planting. I decided to dry plant, although the substrate was still wet from it’s rinsing as I’d place the glass lids on the tank after set up to keep the moisture in before planting started.

I kept some plants from the previous tank set-up and had placed them in the same container as the fish. Without much light most of the algae had gone from the leaves and any that hadn’t was pruned off the plant. I kept 3 Java Ferns (Microsorum pteropus), 3 Amazon Sword plants (Echinodorus bleheri), about 10 what I think is Vallisneria nana, about 5 very sorry looking Cryptocoryne parva with a lot of root attached, a Nymphaea lotus (stella?) and a plant that looks rather like a small cheese plant which I think is Anubias nana.

51678038.jpg

88056129.jpg

62688162.jpg

To these I added two pots of a small delicate stem plant I can’t identify, 2 pots of tallish hair grass, a cryptocoryne legroi and a cryptocoryne bullosa ?(although these classifications may be wrong). I couldn’t find any Eleocharis acicularis locally which is what I had had in mind for the carpet.

30981230.jpg

41664730.jpg

49944009.jpg

I had a think about plant location after browsing picture of aquariums with similar hardscapes to mine and then placed the TetraPlant Cryoto tablets in the substrate at locations where the plants would be placed.

Before planting the roots were trimmed to encourage growth. The Vallisneria was cut back to about an inch in height and planted individually about an inch apart behind the smallish rock to the right of the tank extending up the rear bank of the substrate ‘island’. To the left of these at the back-centre of the tank were placed the stemmed plants planted in groups of three about an inch apart forming a roundish group and then to the left of these and behind the bog wood I placed the hair grass in a similar roundish group. The hair grass was trimmed to about 2 inches before planting in small clumps.

I found the planting quite awkward because the cat litter is quite light and as a consequence small landslides were inevitable. The plants had to be pushed well down into the substrate and then pulled back out a little to get the plants to stay rooted. I’m hoping that once the plants grow in a little that the roots will hold the plants a more securely so that when the fish go back in I won’t be continually replanting uprooted plants.

Once I was happy with the planting I decided to go ahead and fill the tank using a hose-pipe and a few boiled kettles to bring the tank to room temperature (about 24ºC at the time) as the heater is with the fish. I used Aquasafe to de-chlorinate and treat the water. I managed to fill the tank without any substrate movement or plant displacement. However, the water was very cloudy despite the thorough washing I’d given the litter, so I decided to let the water clear for a day or so before attaching the filter. I didn’t want to clog it up too much, although I will give it a good clean before the fish go back in.

I plan to run the filter on the new tank for a couple of weeks to cycle the tank. I’ll top the tank up using water that the fish are in to cover evaporation and prime the water a little for the fish. In the mean time they are quite happy in the container with the Fluval internal and the heater until transfer time.

Powering up

Lights

The light hood, reflector and the three 39w T5 tubes where given a clean and then hung at approximately 7” from the surface of the water. I may change the light height as I plan to use the sliding glass lids to reduce evaporation and O2/CO2 retention and am not sure if this will reduce the light at the substrate for the carpeting plants. I plan to have and eight hour photo period from 14.00 to 22.00.

Filter

Once the water had cleared a little I connected the canister filter inlet and outlet pipes and turned the filter on. I also switched on the two power-heads. The spray bar was angle up slightly to increase surface agitation and the power-heads angled straight ahead to the front glass. To my surprise the substrate stayed in place despite the flow and only one Amazon uprooted. At this point I added a generous dose of both Flourish Excel and Flourish fertiliser.

CO2

The feed from he bubble counter was fed into a small JBL diffuser which was place at the bottom of the tank to allow me to position it below the filter inlet. A small piece of pipe was attached to the small outlet at the top of the diffuser and guided through a small hole I made in the bottom of the inlet filter. This would ensure that all the CO2 released from the top of the now (too) short spiral diffuser would be directed into the filter and so distribute the CO2 evenly around the tank. I used the shortened JBL diffuser as I had had trouble, using a small glass diffuser, getting the gas flow to start once the solenoid switched on.

I started the CO2 up and waited for the first bubbles to pass through the filter. After a few burps and gurgles the filter settled down. The gas escapes the diffuser a few large bubbles at a time and there is some noise as the bubbles get sucked up the inlet but I can live with it. The CO2 comes into the tank in incredibly fine quite hard to see bubbles. On closer inspection I can see that the water is saturated with the micro bubbles and that they flow all around the tank.

I placed the drop checker in the tank and set the regulator for 3 bps. I reduced this to 2 bps the following day as even before the CO2 came on drop checker was showing lime green. I’m having to use tank water in the drop checker until my 4dKH order arrives so I’ve no real idea what’s going on with the CO2 until then.

Up and Running

The tank has been up and running now for about 3 days. During this time I realised that the flat area at the left end of the tank for the carpet plants needed to be about another inch deeper or I was going to have problems keeping the plants in the substrate.

Also, being rather impatient, and not being able to source any Eleocharis acicularis locally, I found 3 pots of Hemianthus micranthemoides ‘Cuba’ and decided to give that a go instead.

After I had increase the ‘flat end’ substrate to about 2” I proceeded, with some trepidation, to prepare and plant the ‘Cuba’. I decided to plant with a small cube of rock wool attached to the roots, which I had trimmed in half, divided each pot in to six clumps and planted out about 1” apart. The whole process went remarkably smoothly.

I plan to run the tank for a couple or more weeks to allow the plants to grow in. It will also allow me to fiddle with the CO2 rate. I’ve also decided to try fertilising using Estimated Index and am currently awaiting the arrival of the relevant dry ferts.

97237159.jpg

Re: Newbie Aquascape

Looks a good start, agree with luis to maybe drop the wood a little.
Be interesting to see how it progresses.
Just a quick one, I can't tell from the pics but have you planted the anubias in the substrate? If so it will rot away. One of the pics looks like anubias plsnted.

You've definitely got the flow sorted with the spray bar etc so shouldn't have any issues with that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thx guys,

Will try your suggestion re the wood.

Re: Anubias, yes it is in the substrate but the rhizome is above the substrate and it leafy end is resting on the edge of the small rock next to it. I had it in the last tank planted in the same way i.e. in substrate with rhizome above and it grew really well. It had a great root system(slightly trimmed now!). That picture was taken just after planting the last tank build. It ended up less buried than shown in the photo. I'll keep a beady eye on it and maybe attach it to the rock.

88377334.jpg

Thx for your help and suggestions.

I'll update once there is a little more growth. :)

The Waiting Game

My bottle of 4dKH solution for the drop checker arrived today, day 4, so I can now be more certain of the pH/CO2 readings. The plants all look healthy and they have manage to stay rooted in the substrate. There is no sign of algae so far. I’m thinking about doing my first water change although I’m not sure if this is necessary yet as I have no fish in the tank.

I swapped out the 900 Koralia for another 1600 as I’m setting up a nano reef marine and want the 900 for that. The extra flow of the 1600 can only improve things in the tank and it will balance the flow better with 1600 in the other corner.

After a helpful suggestion on the aquascape from Ghostsword and Alastair (UKAPS) I have lowered the height of the bog wood to the left of the tank to bring it slightly lower than the rock on the right. I couldn’t get it much lower without a major move around which I’m reluctant to do, as it’s quite a large piece of wood and there’s no much room. I don’t want to disturb the planting too much, although I did have to move the Nymphaea stella and a couple of the HC plugs.

27636239.jpg

I’ve reduced the CO2 bubble rate to 1 bps as the drop checker is lime green even before the CO2 comes on in the morning. I had a lot more CO2 going into my last set up for a green colour so maybe the better flow, distribution and cover glass have improved things in that department. So at least the cost of CO2 will come down. :)

My dry ferts have turned up too so I plan to start EI dosing from Monday, after a large water change on Sunday. I’ll probably give the tank another week or two for the plants to settle in to EI before reintroducing the fish to their newly refurbished home!

Brilliant detail in your journal, shall be watching this :)

Here's a quick update on the tank :)

Adjustments

Two weeks in and the tank seems to be ticking over nicely. There is no sign of algae thankfully. Occasionally, a stem from the feathery unidentified stem plant at the back does pop out of the gravel and has to be pushed back in. Overall, there is some growth but it’s seems a little slow. This may be ferts. although I upped Flourish dosing from 1/2 a cap to 1 cap daily. I start EI dosing tomorrow (Monday 06/08) so I’ll hopefully see more growth. I’m still on an 8 hr photo-period and the drop checker has shown a constant green.

79761270.jpg

The tank is also without a heater as the fish need it. The tank temperature is a little lower at 22º-23ºC than I normally would have the tank and will be warmed up to 24ºC ready for the fish. Maybe the lower temperature is slowing plant growth down?

33905942.jpg
81454922.jpg

I removed my bubble counter the other day in an attempt to fix a problem with the CO2 system. When the solenoid clicks on at 12.00 there doesn’t seem to be enough pressure to start the gas flowing through the counter (it’s a plastic JBL). The regulator is cranked fully open and the needle jet set for 1 bps. The canister is a 600 g welding CO2 bottle from B&Q and it pressurised at 36 bar. I though maybe the counter was leaking and as I can count the bubbles going in to the diffuser base I figured it was surplus to requirement.

22916600.jpg
14012472.jpg

The bubbles going via a flow valve (JBL) to the diffuser base are a little smaller than the counter bubbles so I increased the rate to 2 bps. I’ve run it like this for a couple of days and the drop checker has remained lime green. However, the pressure problem hasn’t resolved itself. I still have to turn up the needle valve to get the gas flowing and then readjust back to 1 bps. Back to the drawing board.

13770864.jpg
50695871.jpg

I’ve just done my first water change of approximately 40% and given my canister filter a good clean in old tank water. Flow through the spray bar has now improve which can only be good for the tank. The fish are still in a container but seem quite happy. I’ll keep them there for another week then I’ll probably warm the tank up and pop them in.

47740837.jpg

I'll update once I can see any effect from EI dosing. :thumbup:

Re: Newbie Aquascape (update 2)

So here's the update on the tank so far...

In Go The Fish

After a 40% water change at the end of my first week of EI dosing I decided to pop the fish in. I bought the tank temperature up to 24ºC and floated the bagged fish for 1/2 hour or so slowly adding tank water to the bags to acclimatise the fish.

On releasing the fish I wanted to avoid getting any debris I had netted whilst bagging the fish but inevitably I wasn’t as successful as I’d hoped! The fish seemed to settle in quite nicely although the Bolivian Rams were a little slower to relax into their new surroundings.

First Impressions

I had hoped to see some rapid growth from my plants after the second week of EI dosing. Although the plants looked healthy and truth to tell there was some observable growth in the hair grass, Parva, fern and stems it wasn’t as much as I had expected. The HC looked healthy but hadn’t spread as quickly as I had hoped.

86333304.jpg

Another problem with the HC was that one of my Rams had decided it liked nibbling around them and had started to pull bits of it up. Which I’ve been diligently collecting and replanting in small tufts. I also pushed the existing plugs further into the litter. I think I may be losing the battle with the Ram so may have to think of a less appealing (to the Ram) option to carpet this area. I’ll persist for a little while and see how it goes.

99497472.jpg

I started to see some diatom growth on some of the rock and a few crypt leaves. After some good advice from the UKAPS forum (thanks darren636) I decided to drop the photo period from 8 to 6 hours and see what happened. This also got me thinking about CO2 levels.

85471168.jpg

31672594.jpg

Drop Checker

My drop checker had been showing a constant lime green/yellow for days yet I was only putting 1 bps into the tank. My fish had shown no sign of discomfort and, coupled with a slower growth rate than I had expected, I decided to refresh the drop checker fluid and see if it was indicating accurately. I always use new fluid at each weekly water change so I wasn’t convinced this was the answer.Within 2 hours the drop checker showed lime green. I upped the bubble rate to 2 bps to see if the fish would show and signs of gapping and it soon turned yellow. My fish where still happy and remained so despite the drop checker staying yellow for the next 48 hours.

44342595.jpg

From what I gather from this forum and from observations from my previous set up this much indicated CO2 in the water was not conducive to happy fish yet my fish were quite happy. As a consequence I decide to go back to using tank water in the drop checker as I know roughly what bubble rate will get it lime green at lights on and still keep the fish alive. It’s also a more realistic bps for my 200 L tank. It also reverts to a darker green a while after the gas goes off.

Onward

Hopefully I have the right balance of light and CO2 going into the tank and will see an improvement in growth. I have upped the photo period to 7 hours as the diatom problem has disappeared and the above issue has been addressed. I may have to drop back to 6 hours if the diatoms reappear and my 3 ottos can’t deal with it.

My Vallisneria has shown very little growth. It started to melt and die back but has recently shown some new leaves. If it doesn’t do well I’ll replace it with some other background plant but I’ll give it more time. Likewise my unidentified stem. It’s hard to keep it in the substrate and despite good flow around the base of the stem is losing the lower fronds. I’m going to give it a few more weeks before I do any plant replacing, just to allow the tank to settle in to the new light and gas regime.

98786048.jpg

My Rams and Corys both spawned although all trace of eggs/fry have vanished. There are too many mouths in the tank for them to have much of a chance! Maybe once the tank grows in more there will be more chance of any fry surviving.

Any comments welcome. I'll update soon :thumbup:

Back