• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

new to planted tanks

I water change 2 times a week. the airstones are in now. tanks been running over a year, never had a problem ever. until I removed the wavemakers from the surface and put them lower in the tank. and the co2 went on, but I am eliminating the co2 as when I turned it off the gasping was still happening a day later, so its the wavemakers not disturbing the surface, which would be o2 levels.

not yet, will look into buying a fan for it. where should my wavemaker be? can I move it higher again or will this negate my co2?

thanks, ill do that, maybe once I fill my tank with plants it will provide more o2 and I can move the wavemakers away but for now ill do it like this.
im after riccia if anyone wants to sell me it, and frogbit, as the vallis doesn't need much light? maybe I could have frogbit and vallis? does frogbit provide o2 in the water? I still think my fish would love it

theres no classifieds on this forum for people selling their plants? or wanting some?

After 20 posts or is it 25? Either one you will unlock the access to the classifieds. You may have to wait a few minutes or an hour for you account to be updated with the new future. Have you considered having a low tech setup? It is highly possible to create jungle themed tanks without CO2 and it will also mean less work for you in terms of worring about gassing your fish.

P.S here is a low tech tank, its worth reading through this Tom's Bucket O' Mud - new vid page 28 | UK Aquatic Plant Society

Yes there is, i believe you need 50 post to see the wanted/forsale section.

Have a nice day!
Lexy

Have you tested the water in your tank lately? To be honest I would switch off the CO2 completely until your fish are no longer gasping at the surface,as Michael says you need to think about the fish first in this case,sorting the CO2 will wait.
Just wondering if maybe you have had a PH crash or ammonia spike.

Going back to your earlier posts - 13 hours is an awfully long time to have your lights on. This will also contribute to your higher water temperatures. You might want to think about cranking that back to about 8 hours along with reducing the co2 accordingly.

Reactions: tim
I will adjust the light times now. I added the airstone last night and within 30 minutes everything wasn't gasping, so I know its o2 100% now.
this morning the lights are on and the wavemakers are at the surface with the co2 on, will see how it goes

You don't think that your fish might have been hanging out at the surface to have a break from the flow do you?

When you said you had 26,000 lph I though "OMG!" It also made me curious enough to go have have a look at some of the piranha forums to see what other piranha keepers were doing. Flow recommendations I saw on there were all about 10x to 20x, which would be right for the plants too. Your flow is nearly 60x. Are you sure that's not too much?

Something does not sound right here!
We need far more info on the Co2 system...
Consider that 95% of the issues on this forum revolve around not enough C02 but you say your fish are gasping, are they gasping at the surface?
Like I said something is not right!!
The chances of C02 effecting the fish with that amount of flow is not likely!!
What are you trying to achieve? why on earth are you using such a crazy amount of flow!
Perhaps you need to revise the tank a little, study the forum for info on how to grow plants & fit that info into keeping your fish happy!
6 hours of subdued light, 10 x flow & very carful addition of C02!!

As others have said you have way too much flow,this is like a Hillstream set up and none of the fish you have enjoy those sort of conditions.
With that sort of flow there is no way lack of O2 is the problem.
Not quite sure why you say the piranha need exercise and also they are by nature they are quite shy so prefer lower light "blackwater" type set ups to get the best from them.
As well as vastly reducing the lighting time I would raise the lights up further away from the surface which would also help with the temperature.

im not reducing the flow, pygocentrus gain fat and get out of shape, I have kept shoals and serrasalmus species, and wont be reducing the flow ever. with the wood and plants in there its not 26,000 hitiing them in the face anyway.
I have had low light black water setups, and I love them, I have also seen hitech plnted piranha aquariums and they are fine. I could add a canopy at one end or floating plant one end, they also have the grass to hide in. they have been fine up until now, the problem is the o2.
I moved the wavemakers to the surface last night, all today they are back to normal and aren't gasping.
they are actively swimming in the current again, which if they didn't want to be in the current they wouldn't be, theres a lot of ways in the tank to avoid it near enough completely.
piranha are found in anything from a puddle to white water rapids, they are adaptable and do well in near enough anything, same with salinity as well.
thanks for all the advice, today the co2 is on and the shoals fine, only difference is the wavemakers back at the surface.

squid I am on most piranha forums, I have seen a guy using the 24,000 lph in 3 foot tanks.with no problems, not planted of course though.
the flow is fine, I wish I could remove the water just as quick the other end though, to make it a river aquarium, next tank I will make some sort of river manifold

Back