• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New tank white algae/fungus

malik uddin

Hi I just started my superfish scaper 45 about 2 weeks ago and have got the fuzzy white stuff on my spider wood. I have added 4 otocinculus and 4 amano shrimp (I think 1 is dead, as I discarded skeleton with eyes). Is this enough to take fungus down or is it too much and the animals will stave. I can't remove the wood as its glued to rocks. I scrubed a small bit but it floated off and stuck to my plants. Do I wait it out? Heard some say it can kill plants. Any advice appreciated. Oh yeah it's my first time here so hello.

Hi and welcome to UKAPS.

The fungus, fuzz, white growth on spider wood is normal. The cleanup crew will remove it from the wood over time. My 3 otos took 4 to 6 weeks to clear my tank this time last year, they had fat full bellies for months after introducing them to the tank.

I didn't try and remove the growth manually, but it also didn't approach my plants. If it had, I probably would have done so.

Welcome, as said it's common on some wood,spiderwood, Redmoor eg. but it should clear in time You can gently brush off and have a small syphon hose directed carefully above

Hi all thank you so much for your help I been using a long feeding pipette and it's been sucking it up no problem. I cleared it all in minutes. And it's delicate enough to use on plants.

Back