• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New tank, have been out of the hobby a while.

themodernchap

Seedling
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum, so I thought I would make a thread to say hello and ask for a look over my new setup.

I used to have a 400l planted discus tank, then a small reef for a few years, then I moved house a whole bunch of times and having a tank just wouldn't be possible. Last year I bought a house in a little village outside Belfast, Northern Ireland and that means it's time for a new tank.

So, next Friday my LFS is delivering a 4' by 2' by 26" tall Clearseal Premier tank with cabinet. It's a sumped tank although I don't have accurate measurements of the sump. I reckon that with displacement it will run at around 550l, maybe slightly more.

The tank is going to be set up as a planted discus tank (really my only love in freshwater besides pufferfish).

I was thinking of getting a 4x T5HO unit for lighting. Do you think that will be sufficient or should I stretch to the 6 tube unit?

For biological filtration I am thinking of running either Seachem Matrix or Siporax stacked into baskets. I haven't run a FW tank in almost 10 years so I am a little rusty and not sure what is currently working for people.

I would also like to turn part of the sump into a FW refugium which I will stock with shrimp, fast growing plants (was thinking Eoleda Densa, and a few floating species) scuds, daphnia, any bugs I think will reproduce and maybe some mosquitofish or guppies. What do you think?

I'll work out a stock list once I have figured out the water volume with the sump.

Thanks in advance for any comments you have.
Robert

Edit: I'm going to update this post with the vitals of the system as progress is made.
Display: 48"L x 24"W x 26"D made by Clearseal. (10mm glass with black silicone) (120x60x66cm) Volume circa 491L
Sump: 36"L x 15"W x 15" D made by Clearseal. (91x38x38cm) Running volume unknown as yet.
Lighting:
Lighting Suspension:
Filter Media:
Substrate:
Hardscape:
Plants:
Fish:

Last edited:
Hi there, Biohome filter media is supposed to be very good. I've ordered some for the sump of my big tank... Good luck, just getting into Discus myself.

Yeah I'm running biohome ultra in my canister filter.
Seems great and has been running for over a year

Back