• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New tank :D

dan4x4

Hi all,

got myself a juwel rio 125 this weekend, I have added the ceramic balls to the filter media, took out any chemical pads like the ammonia remover and carbon etc, I have replaced these simply with their corse sponges.

I have also got an additional pump to help me achieve 10x flow its a record eco marine pump and does flow of 500 lpm to 4000lpm. it has a controller with all kinds of settings.

I also have some indian almond leaves

I have some sphagnum moss, red clay, and westland aquatic compost. I want to go low tech.

Im going to place the red clay in balls in the substrate, which I'm looking to have 1inch deep at the front, to about 1.3 inch at the back. with approx 1 inch 3-5 mm cap with some natural looking gravel.

My water is soft so I have crushed oyster shell to add into the gravel. Do you think I should be adding a water conditioner to the new water such as seachem equilibrium?

Plants I have decided on so far are as follows..

Background
Echinodorus Bleheri x 2
echinodorus ozelot x1
echinodrous ocelot green x2
aponogeton Madagascariensis x 2
apongeton boivinianus x2
Crinum calamistratum x2
Red tiger lotus x1
Limnophila hippuridoides x1

Midground
Needle leaf java fern (x3) & java moss (x1) which will be attached to a bit of manzanita
anubias coffeefolia (x2)

Foreground
sagittaria subulata x 5

floating
Water lettuce

What are your initial thoughts? Haha you would not even believe how long it has taken me to decide on this so far.

i know this isn't at all a ground breaking aquascape but in my mind this is what a jungle will look like also I'm probably going to end up with tetra so hopefully they will be happy in this environment.

I want to leave it once planted and let stuff take over. I don't know if I should maybe add more plants, i have saved up money so I can get everything all at once, its really exciting haha!

please feel free to rip my plans apart because i really really want to get this right :)

also thanks to everyone so far co I'm always asking questions and a lot of the feedback has gone into the above.

Back