• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New setup rio 300

triumphcarnut

You guys do much better at this than me but thought I might as well put some stuff on here as I've been looking and reading for a while now.
I have had this setup and running for just on 2 weeks now.

Started with an old used tank and filter system bought on ebay placed on a sideboard also bought on ebay very cheaply but is immensely heavy and strong

DSCF0001.jpg

Some of the wood came with the tank but the rocks were collected from various places (but not bought).
I played about with this wood for a few days but couldnt get it how I wanted so I bit the bullet and went and spent some more money!

10022012268-1.jpg

I used kitty litter as a base and topped it with some Aquarium Gravel some bronze coloured designer stuff and left some kitty litter open (back left corner and pretty deep!)
I have the Juwell in tank filter running along with an EHEIM 2213 (classic I think its pretty old).
Also have a JBL under gravel heating cable and a Juwell 300 watt in filter heater.

The lighting is provided by a repaired Juwell standard tank top light unit at the moment but I hope to change this to an Arcadia system in the future. (The unit had been butchered as the electronic ballast wasnt working apparently... When I investigated I discovered the chump (Previous owner) had been playing and wired it so that only one tube was working and subsequently damaged the circuit board... I fixed that and now it works fine with two tubes)

I then filled with water and left it running for a week whilst Java plants made up my order and got it too me. Took just as long as they said and on Wednesday this week I was able to get the tank planted out. I bought the 60" discus collection from Java as I intend to use the tank for Discus in the future. There was a lot of variation and the plants were very healthy. Excellent value for money when compared to my local fish shop unfortunately for them
I think becasue the filters had been running for over a week by the time I came to plant there was very little disturbance of the water and so it cleared very quickly.

I dont know all the proper names for the plants and I know they will grow much bigger than they are at the moment especially the amazon swords. I will thin them out but for now it makes the tank look quite good i think. Hopefully the rear of the tank will become thick with tall varying colours of growth and the front will remain low level with the Anazons thinned out as necessary( maybe even ripped out and replaced with more pygmy swords. and smaller crypts)

(My camera work is not as good as some on here but you will get the idea.... Im pretty happy with it but will modify as the plants grow in.)
15022012270.jpg

DSCF0012.jpg

DSCF0020.jpg

DSCF0019.jpg

Now with some neons in the filter system is beginning to mature according to the water testing.

Plans for the very near future are CO2 ( I have most of the bits needed I just need a reactor) Change to dosing the tank as per the article on this forum.
Then more Neons (another 20) and Cory's (6-8) Eventually 8 discus fish

Then upgrade the lighting and maybe the eheim if it needs it. At the moment all the systems are working ok so if it stays that way all will be left alone.

An update after a week from planting out. The first pic is from last week just after planting and then today's after a water change.

Progress is pretty good. I have had some clearing to do to the Vallis (cant really see it in these pics) as it isnt doing well some new shoots but loads more melting. I intended to get rid off them today but after taking them out I discovered some more new shoots which seem quite strong so I ended up just trimming off the bad stuff and replanting them.
I need to get some plant ferts and the CO2 up and running... next week hopefully but altogether I am happy with the progress. Just wish I could afford a decent camera to get better pics

DSCF0016.jpg

DSCF0070.jpg

Back