• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New regulator needed

Lawrence

I'm looking to buy a new regulator as mine doesn't have a built in solenoid and the needle valve is starting to get a bit dodgy now too and not controlling that great. Any suggestions on a decent dual stage regulator with built in solenoid and needle valve would be great. I've had mine for about 10years now I don't have any idea what are decent and what's not any more. I use either fire extinguishers or the 2kg JBL bottles if that makes a difference.

I'm looking to buy a new regulator as mine doesn't have a built in solenoid and the needle valve is starting to get a bit dodgy now too and not controlling that great. Any suggestions on a decent dual stage regulator with built in solenoid and needle valve would be great. I've had mine for about 10years now I don't have any idea what are decent and what's not any more. I use either fire extinguishers or the 2kg JBL bottles if that makes a difference.

By dual Stage is that what you mean ( Two Stage) or do you mean Two Guage

Ive just recently bought a dual stage regulator from co2 supermarket and its a very good build quality, cant comment on long term as I haven't had it that long but so far so good.

Ive just recently bought a dual stage regulator from co2 supermarket and its a very good build quality, cant comment on long term as I haven't had it that long but so far so good.

Any chance of a link to the one you got?

Thank you. I'll have a look in a bit

Last edited:
I was actually looking at this one earlier. My new tank will be 400litres. My current is a 2ft cube so now I'm looking at the best diffusion method aswell. I can't work out whether to use my inline diffuser before the external filter. After the external going into an EF2 filter booster or if 1point of injection will even be enough. Got the feeling ill be experimenting for a while to get the method right for this tank.

I mean 2 gauge. I thought they were called two stage/dual stage?
single stage means you can only adjust the amount of gas released, not the pressure released by the regulator.
single gauge usually means you only get a gauge measuring of how much gas you still have in the canister.
2 gauge means there's a measurement of the pressure inside the canister (how much gas is left) and also the pressure being released by the regulator (in a single stage it's usually fixed and not related to the adjustments made with the needle valve).
2/dual stage means you have a needle valve and can also regulate the amount of pressure released by the regulator.

2 gauge means there's a measurement of the pressure inside the canister (how much gas is left)
The pressure in the tank, for CO2 remains at about 55bar whilst there is liquid CO2 in the cylinder. The tank pressure only starts to drop once the liquid has all gone and only pressurised gas remains.

Thank you both. It just confirmed what I though I already knew that a twin gauge is usually a 2 stage reg. Now just to find a decent one in stock.

It just confirmed what I though I already knew that a twin gauge is usually a 2 stage reg
Incorrect.

Having two gauges does not necessarily mean twin stage. My regulator (CO2SuperMarket) is twin gauge but it is only single stage regulation. Works fine. Though as single stage regulator the out pressure starts to drop and thus CO2 bubble rate starts to drop, when tank pressure drops below 30-40bar (from steady 55bar).

Incorrect.

Having two gauges does not necessarily mean twin stage. My regulator (CO2SuperMarket) is twin gauge but it is only single stage regulation. Works fine. Though as single stage regulator the out pressure starts to drop and thus CO2 bubble rate starts to drop, when tank pressure drops below 30-40bar (from steady 55bar).

And there I was thinking that it was going to be easy. To be fair I don't think it'll make much difference what I get single or twin as I don't think the bottle will last long once it's out of liquid and just down to gas. On a 400l tank I don't expect to be counting bubbles easily.

Back