• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New member from India, introduction

Sumit Sen

Seedling
Hi Folks,

Great to be a part of a thriving community of like-minded people sharing their deep knowledge with everyone.
I am from Kolkata, India and have been an aquarium hobbyist from the 1960's. I stopped when I was in my late teens and picked it up again about 20 years ago - that fling lasted for 5 years. I am back again having decided to celebrate my 60th birthday with a planted tank.
I am essentially a nature lover and an advanced bird watcher and reasonable photographer. My fish keeping hobby is focused on the welfare of the tank. I like breeding difficult species, and have had beginner's luck on occasion in the past.
Getting back into the hobby was a technological challenge. When I last left it we were on long fluorescent tubes, undergravel filter and India's available plant list was, maybe, 30 at most
The whole hobby has changed so much in the last 20 years (in our parts) that everything I knew had to be relearned, and the process has just begun. The only skill I carry with me is a deep understanding of fish and what makes them tick.
This is a rather long drawn intro, and I could go on. But there is always the time to share more. Let me end this introduction with the image of a tank that I have set up exactly 3 months ago.
It is a low-tech, Seachem Exel dosed 2 feeter (24 x 12 x 12 inches) tank lit by a 2x24W T5HO's. The aim of the tank is to present a garden look. As it is high summer here with tank temperatures hitting 30C, trimming is not being performed regularly, so the garden has a wild look to it. The tank houses 13 Ember Tetras, 6 Harlequin/Lambchop rasboras, 2 Otos and 3 Daisy's Ricefish.
I also have a ADA Mini-M which is being set up. It is a high tech tank and I will share images/notes about it when I can.
Thanks for looking and I really feel great to be a part of this very vibrant community.
Cheers!
Sumit

Attachments

• 15G_17_04_16sm.jpg
    15G_17_04_16sm.jpg
    640.1 KB · Views: 151
Hi Sumit, Welcome to UKAPS, you will enjoy the forum alot!

Thats a lovely tank you have. You mentioned that temperatures hit 30C - How do the fish cope with these temps?
When my tank hit 27C in this country i would be doing cooler water changes and adding large blocks of Ice. - Maybe i was a little too worried!

Thank a ton! Fish do fairly well in these temperatures and I have a lot of circulation going. Some plants do well but a few can't take the heat. They just survive. The spot where the tank is placed has outside temperatures of 36-37C. I use fans to keep the tank in the 29 -31C range. Hopefully the temperatures will be more reasonable in a month's time. Matter of seeing this period through :)

Welcome to the UKAPS from a fellow Calcuttan :) I have generally been benefiting a lot from the discussions here. I am sure you will enjoy it a lot here as well. Your tank as usual looks stunning. I love the wild look and the juxtaposition of various colours in such a tight space.

Thank a ton! Fish do fairly well in these temperatures and I have a lot of circulation going. Some plants do well but a few can't take the heat. They just survive. The spot where the tank is placed has outside temperatures of 36-37C. I use fans to keep the tank in the 29 -31C range. Hopefully the temperatures will be more reasonable in a month's time. Matter of seeing this period through :)
Thank you :) And many thanks for pointing out this place to me.

Hi and welcome.Tank looks stunning :).
Also a great city you live in.Visited there a long time ago,Was Calcutta in them days.

Beautiful tank!

What style is your Mini-M?
Thanks very much! Still trying to give it (Mini M) shape and figure out the lighting needs. Most likely a long carpet backed by a wall of stems with one piece of wood. I am using one Azoo Flexi Mini as light source but have to add to it as the Flexi mini is suitable for the ADA Mini S and falls short for the Mini M. Ultimately the light will dictate the planting and design :)
Cheers!

Back