• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Juwel Rio 125 setup

Lemna

I've recently set up a brand new Juwel Rio 125 aquarium and thought I'd document the process here, if only to help keep me accountable in maintaining the thing! Plus it might be of interest / use to others as I will no doubt make mistakes along the way...

I am using the standard LED lights and internal filter that came with the aquarium. No Co2.

After much deliberation, I have gone for Tropica Aquarium Soil with Hugo Kamishi Quartz White Gravel as substrate. I already had an existing aquarium running which I am now in the process of decommissioning. It currently houses just a single bristle nosed pleco, which will move into the new tank in due course. I used a small amount of larger gravel from this old setup for visual effect, and also in the hope that some beneficial bacteria might help establish the new aqurium. Same idea with the filter - I used a lot of the old media from the previous setup to help seed the new filter. I've added a lot of ceramic rings in addition to the sponges that come with Juwel filter. Several bits of old bogwood also made the move to the new tank. None of these are that big, but bedget prevents me from investing in a large statement bit of wood!

The old aquarium lighting tube died about a year ago. Amazingly, Anubias has survived / thrived in the old tank with no lighting whatsoever! I added a few bits of this in the new tank and had things running for a couple of weeks. Lighting just on for a few hours a day and doing regular water changes.

Today I have planted a selection of easy plants ordered from Aquarium Gardens (excellent quality!) I went for the Plant Collection for up to 36" Jungle Style Tank, plus Limnobium laevigatum and Phyllanthus fluitans as floaters. I'm not convinced on the look of the floaters to be honest, but I hope they will grow quick and offer some shade and moderation to the glare of the Juwel lighting.

Some photos below, post planting. Really looking forward to watching it establish!

PXL_20240316_160729548.jpg

PXL_20240316_160753884.jpg
PXL_20240316_160747252.jpg

Last edited:
Looking really good - I agree that waiting for a tank to grow in in so exciting.

I'm not convinced on the look of the floaters to be honest, but I hope they will grow quick and offer some shade and moderation to the glare of the Juwel lighting.

IMO floating plants never look good straight after being put in - they need a while for the roots to relax and grow a little to look natural!

Thanks everyone. Bazz - I've just had a quick skim through your journal (will read in more detail later). Absolutely stunning aquascape you've got going on there!
Thanks Cazza - yes your journal has been very helpful to me, and there are definitely lots of similarities. I'll be keeping an eye on your journal too. Cheers.

Back