• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New computer.....iMac?

Ady34

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
Hello all,
I'm in desperate need if an updated computer system. With the apple products becoming dominant in my lifestyle....kids iPads, our iPhones ....I'm considering an iMac. They look great and although seem an expensive outlay, they have a longer estimated lifespan and are regularly updated so ideal for a computer dummy like myself who won't want to be replacing and updating a system regularly.
Can anyone offer any advice as to any negative reasons not to go for it.....I know it's a bit of a lame question, but having no real knowledge about computer systems I don't know if there are strong reasons against, as from what the 'salesman' in PCworld was saying abd what i can understand, they are the way to go.....
Cheers
Ady

Macbook pro mate :)
Sexy aluminium casing.
Ah well, cheers Nath, I should have said I'd really prefer a desktop, I'm not a laptop fan....although I have also considered the mac mini too as a cheaper alternative to the mac :/ I like the idea of a lot of memory too for photos etc :)
Im all but decided but being as its such a large expense I thought I'd rely on the Ukaps massive for some non-sales orientated feedback :)
Thanks
Ady

my bro just got an imac when i was out there on holiday, if it would have fitted it in my case i would of robbed it:angelic:
i was very impressed overall and the big old 27-28" (?) screen was awesome... HD videos of peoples tanks came alive, sadly videos made by use mere mortals looked... erm very amateur:( do it!!!

Ady,

I recently got the Mac Mini at Christmas on Finance i got the higher spec version, im so glad i made the change! I love it!

my bro just got an imac when i was out there on holiday, if it would have fitted it in my case i would of robbed it:angelic:
i was very impressed overall and the big old 27-28" (?) screen was awesome... HD videos of peoples tanks came alive, sadly videos made by use mere mortals looked... erm very amateur:( do it!!!
hi Iain,
id only be looking at the 21.5" screen, theres no way i could stretch to the 27" one :wideyed: Even so it would be a huge improvement on what i have.....ill just sit closer :watching:

Ady,

I recently got the Mac Mini at Christmas on Finance i got the higher spec version, im so glad i made the change! I love it!
yeah, i really like the sound of the macs.
These mac mini's are a new way of looking at computing for me, i just dont know if i can imagine computing on my tv......i know you can hook it up to a monitor etc, but then you have to buy a monitor and you may aswell just get an imac. Theres something in me that still thinks you need to be sat at a desk using the computer seperately, but i need to think about it and how it would fit with my needs as its quite a saving for pretty much exactly the same product but without a monitor.....:confused:
Go for the iMac, you will not like Windows 8 :what: :wideyed: :rage: :arghh: :eek:
are you finding it difficult to work with Paulo? My Dad is wanting to upgrade his system to windows 8 to better cope with itunes etc.....is it not all that?

Cheers,
Ady.

mmm....no negative feedback yet :).....its looking good. Seems the only decision will be iMac or Mac mini....

Hi Ady. I'm a Mac user, with a couple of their 'toys'. The Imac is a great machine in either 21.5 or 27" spec, but the only negative I have for it ( in terms of day to day computing ) is that they only come with the high gloss screen, so if you are going to use it in a room with daylight, it does act like a bit of a mirror ! From what you have said, the mac mini will be more than powerful enough for you, and you get the choice of monitor too.

I'd also say that you can easily spec a macbook pro with more than enough storage for a huge photo collection - a 750gb plus a 512gb drive can be installed together if you really needed too ! Plus if you get a refurb'ed 17" MBPro from the Apple Store you can spec a non-glossy screen.

Either way, you'll be happy with what you get :)

Tony

Can only agree with whats been said.
Been on Windows, for ever.
My lads (Andyh being one) have nagged me to get a mac for years.
Always refused on cost grounds, however gave in at Xmas, and got a mac mini.......wow.
Why didn't i switch earlier, i love it.
Worth it for the pictures alone.

hi Iain,
id only be looking at the 21.5" screen, theres no way i could stretch to the 27" one :wideyed: Even so it would be a huge improvement on what i have.....ill just sit closer :watching:

yeah, i really like the sound of the macs.
These mac mini's are a new way of looking at computing for me, i just dont know if i can imagine computing on my tv......i know you can hook it up to a monitor etc, but then you have to buy a monitor and you may aswell just get an imac. Theres something in me that still thinks you need to be sat at a desk using the computer seperately, but i need to think about it and how it would fit with my needs as its quite a saving for pretty much exactly the same product but without a monitor.....:confused:

are you finding it difficult to work with Paulo? My Dad is wanting to upgrade his system to windows 8 to better cope with itunes etc.....is it not all that?

Cheers,
Ady.

Ah we'll I had existing peripherals mate so didn't need the monitor :) mines set up as a iMac without the apple monitor.

If you can afford the iMacs I'd drop down the money right away.
I've got the newer edition which is slime as my HD tv...Unfortunately it doesn't have a CD drive and you can't upgrade.
So if you have the money, spend as much as you can.

As with all Apple products we dont know when a new one will be release so i use this site for better judgement:
Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy Your Mac, iPod or iPhone

The iMac was just refreshed so you're safe for now to make that purchase.

The best thing about macs are spacebar preview and short cuts!
My god is so difficult with a PC!

Nah tell him not to bother or just stick with Windows 7, Microsoft is trying to get one OS to work with all types of devices and its not working in my opinion, they need two types of OS like OSX and iOS to cope, they never learn!

Anyway you will not be disappointed with the iMac or Mac Mini, I got myself a Macbook Air last summer and its the best laptop I have ever owned ;) the damn thing just works all the time, its even the best hardware for Windows 7, beats any laptop that is designed to run windows! Use mine on a daily basis, got the 11" version for portability and its always in my bag!

But I would not trade my desktop for a Mac ;) that will never happen! :p

Hi Ady. I'm a Mac user, with a couple of their 'toys'. The Imac is a great machine in either 21.5 or 27" spec, but the only negative I have for it ( in terms of day to day computing ) is that they only come with the high gloss screen, so if you are going to use it in a room with daylight, it does act like a bit of a mirror ! From what you have said, the mac mini will be more than powerful enough for you, and you get the choice of monitor too.

I'd also say that you can easily spec a macbook pro with more than enough storage for a huge photo collection - a 750gb plus a 512gb drive can be installed together if you really needed too ! Plus if you get a refurb'ed 17" MBPro from the Apple Store you can spec a non-glossy screen.

Either way, you'll be happy with what you get :)

Tony
Hi Tony, thanks for the info.
If I go for the iMac it'll be situated away from any direct sunlight so don't think that the reflection will be an issue.
Do the apple store sell refurbed iMacs too as this would be an even cheaper alternative I imagine.....although the pcworld 12 months interest free option is tantalising :)
I'm not a huge fan of laptops, I think it's stemmed from hearing of short lifespans, although I'm sure the apple products are much better. I also like a larger screen plus ive got the iPad for mobile browsing etc.
Can only agree with whats been said.
Been on Windows, for ever.
My lads (Andyh being one) have nagged me to get a mac for years.
Always refused on cost grounds, however gave in at Xmas, and got a mac mini.......wow.
Why didn't i switch earlier, i love it.
Worth it for the pictures alone.
Ah we'll I had existing peripherals mate so didn't need the monitor :) mines set up as a iMac without the apple monitor.
you guys both seem really pleased with your minis....which ones did you go for? I have no real grasp of memory and hard drive but I thought I'd want the 1tb option for either the iMac or mini to future proof. The 1tb mini is £680 which is still a lump cheaper than the iMac, but I'm thinking in all honesty id like a stand alone system that doesn't rely upon my tv for a screen as this may fit in with family life better. I know I could get a monitor for use with the mini, but then to get something decent I'd be adding to the costs and then getting towards iMac price anyway so I'm leaning towards the iMac. Sorry to ramble on, but It's good to get all this feedback, it kind of makes me think about the pros and cons which helps in my decision making :)

Thanks again to everyone for their input, seems my fears of them being too good to be true are unfounded :)
Cheerio,
Ady

Back