• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New 20l Nano Cube

heathen06

Seedling
Hi

This is my first new tank for a long time, about a year and half. In that time, I've just had a few shrimp from my last tank in a small cube. But this new tank marks my return to aquascaping. I've been collecting the stuff for a few months now and hope to plant up in a week or two.

Specs:
Tank: 20 Litre Dennerle Cube.
Lighting: x2 9watt Dennerle Nano Lights
Filter: Azoo Mignon 60
Heater: Aquael 25watt Easyheater

IMG_1659.jpg

IMG_1662.jpg

IMG_1668.jpg

Hardscape:
Substrate: ADA Amazonia II Aquasoil
Wood: Manzanite
Rocks: Seiryu Mini Landscape Rocks
IMG_1666.jpg

IMG_1694.jpg

IMG_1706.jpg

I think I over-ordered on all this!

CO2 and Ferts:
For CO2 I'll be using a DIY mix, using two Dennerle containers from an old set-up. I used to get about two-weeks' worth of CO2 out of each one and alternate refilling them each week so I got a steady supply. Will try with the diffuser but switch to an airstone if the pressure is low. Hopefully I can upgrade to a pressurised system at some point in the future.
IMG_1728.jpg

Using Seachem ferts and additives as they always seemed reliable in the past.
IMG_1667.jpg

Flora:
Foreground: Glosso carpet
Mid: Dwarf Hairgrass, Echinodorus tennellus, Hemianthus Micranthemoidies
Back: Undecided, probably Ludwigia among others.

I'd like an interesting moss for the wood too, suggestions appreciated.

Fauna:
Eventually a betta, but also looking for some small 'natural' coloured schooling fish to complement it. Any suggestions?
Cherry Shrimp, maybe some more exotic shrimp later.
Nerite Snail

I had a long time to think about the layout while I was collecting the equipment. Being fairly limited with space, I couldn't get a larger tank, but I'm aiming to create as much of a sense of scale within this tank as possible, so this is what I had in mind:

aquarium-plan.jpg

And this is the tank set up... critiques on the layout, suggestions for stem plants and fish would be much appreciated.

IMG_1722.jpg

IMG_1721.jpg

IMG_1719.jpg

IMG_1725.jpg

IMG_1729.jpg

That's some good kit you've got there mate, i really like these little cubes,

The wood is amazing too. The stones and layout look spot on in the computer image but I don't know about in the actual tank, I think it's more my lack of imagination a haha and with no plants.

Ive got a 20l arc tank with the mignon 320 and I'd say that's good flow, not overpowering but good, so I think the 60 maybe undersized for you tank, did it not come With the nano filter with spray bar by dennerle? I know it's in tank kit but I think they look pretty good and with a black background you wouldn't notice it too much, and combined with the 60 will you good flow,

Good start though I always get the new setup bug when i such a well planned nano like this haha

The wood is amazing too. The stones and layout look spot on in the computer image but I don't know about in the actual tank, I think it's more my lack of imagination a haha and with no plants

Yeah, the wood is great, my first time using Manzanite, Aquaessentials did me proud with the rock and wood. I think creating that same sense of scale is my aim, but obviously hard to do, I might smash up some of those rocks into smaller pieces to scatter around the front area and that might help.

did it not come With the nano filter with spray bar by dennerle? I know it's in tank kit but I think they look pretty good and with a black background you wouldn't notice it too much

I didn't get the packaged kit, I've been buying all the parts separately, and was about to buy the Dennerle nano filter but was a bit wary of being trapped into having to buy their replacement cartridges for it. But with the Azoo filter I can bung in some ceramic media and use any old filter sponges and save quite a bit of money on running costs that way. I wouldn't mind an in-tank filter, it could be easily hidden behind the stem plants in the back corner. If it were possible to use your own media in the Dennerle filter I'd think about swapping it over.

This is my 20l, my advice to you would be be brave and bold and it'll pay off, tiny rocks will always lack impact unless used en-masse.

I really like that, it's very dramatic and looks a lot bigger than 20litres. Okay, I'll rethink, maybe put in all that wood and more rocks and see how it looks...

I'm guessing he's forgotten about this journal... :/

Anybody know what software he used for the plan?

Back