• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

nest building

stemag

hi i have a pair of dwarf gouramis the male is building a nest in my floating plants ( i think ) he is using bits of my carpet grass (is this normal ) and bubbles
my question is can i do a water change and tank clean whilst this is going on or do i leave it get on with it and if so how long for

yes sits normal, they will use any material available.
i have bred dwarf gouramis and bettas before and while the bubble nest was floating i managed to do some water changes by syphoning the water using airline tubing, it took a while to do but it ensures that the water doesn't go down too quick and disturbs the nest, i also used the airline tubing to re-fill the tank, mind you this was a 35l and a 64l tanks so the water change wasn't huge.

My male DG builds a new nest every week, then when I do my 50% water change or thin out the floating plants, it's gone ..........
And he starts all over again on Saturday afternoons.

It's unlikely that you'll raise any fry in the tank since they are some of the smallest, so I really wouldn't worry about it.

if life was that simple as to leave them my missus n kids are watching with anticipatience and i would be in the dock for murder no doubt
the female has a bulge with eggs
to keep harmony all round will it be ok to leave the water change for 2 to 3 days and if i do the water change will it trash the nest ?

when was you last water change? if i where you i would do a water change now as using airline tubing, the reason why is if the female has not released the eggs then it will give the male a chance to re build it if it gets disturbed, the eggs will hatch with in a couple days normally then they will feed on their yolk sack until they become "free Swimming" but the male will still collect the fry and return them to the nest, if you want you fry and female to survive its recommended to remove the female after the eggs have been laid or she will eat them and the male will most likely beat her up to death,
its also recommended that you do frequent water changes as you will have 100's of fry releasing hormones that will stunt the growth of their siblings so in order to reduce this water changes are required, you can feed them on insofuria(green water)or boiled egg yolk mashed with water and screened through a cloth!

thanks ale 36 i will do a slow water change with air hose i dindnt really wont them to breed but thats nature for you

well i never had a second tank for ither parents or young which my missus has just got one just in case i never saw any young so dont know if they hatched and got ate but as for doing the water change with a small hose was great idea takes a little longer but you can get all round the tank and plants so this will now be my main method of doin a water change wife thinks im mad thanks for that advice and thanks for getting back ps he is building a new nest i think they will go in the new tank because they can make a bit of a mess

Back