• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Neon Green Rasbora Red Dot

miah431

I bought some neon green Rasbora today. Two of them have these red dots on them. Couldn't find much about it on the internet. Is it normal? This is my first time owning a Rasbora species.
2b5f7cbfa7562c6a60ea59ff5d8213e1.jpg
339d8b1cfd4ddaf21a9e057e9f26dbf4.jpg
7b4a27900334c2d87d682067999edf08.jpg
9ed75ac4a7a5c388c2fa6742cbf3a31a.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

My experience is that these fish are very sensitive at first, but once they're fully acclimatised, they are quite hardy. I lost most of a group to suspected columnaris last year, and when I introduced another group a couple of months later, lost most of them too. I had high hopes for the new group, couldn't believe my bad luck...:(
Are these fish flashing? Some of mine were, and some developed the same tiny red dots. I suspected bite marks first, but since there was flashing too, I thought of skin parasites (flukes, trichodina?). Never found it out though. Maybe there were many things going on, and the red marks just one of them. I don't think I did too well in trying to medicate them. Since starting with Fluke Solve there were no losses, could have been a coincidence too. Anyway, the ones I have left are doing very well.

As far as I can see in the pictures, these fish look otherwise good, round bellies and clear fins. Keep an eye on them and offer them loads of fresh water, hopefully that's all it's needed.

I lost two of them within 24 hours. The LFS offered to replace them but I decided not to go as it was a half an hour drive. The other three are perfectly fine. I might top up their numbers however they are quite pricey. £20 for 5 is a lot.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I would wait at least a few weeks before adding any more to be sure that they aren't ill.....I lost a load of mine to what I suspect was a bacterial disease and they showed these red dots.

Back