• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nature's river **New journal**

Re: Nature's River (Hardscaping in Progress)

Okay, im going to order some Maui sand based on what i have seen from ollies tank, The Samoa looks too dark for a good contrast for me :) I dont know if ill use graded gravels becuase over time the amazonia will merge at the edges giving a contrast:) The idea of Keeping the bank in place, ill think ill go with mikes idea, seems easy and cheap enough:) The wood has been soaking for only two days now and it has all sunk! But im going to leave it there until i get plants:) More time for tannin's to leech i suppose. Finally, i have already thought of the idea of trunking and will be getting that in the next week. Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated.

Just a thought on the trunking, are you going to keep it routed the same as the cable? Cos it is nice and out of the way at the mo leaving clean wall behind for photos.

Hi Harry
Glad you liked the wood...you will need to soak the wood for a few days before arranging it in the tank as it will float.
Its best doing this as you can remove any sharp edges using a Stanley knife (be careful) off the wood that don't look natural.
hoggie

Great advice hoggie, The wood is amazing :) Its already sunk in the bucket i have and is now waiting its arrival into the final aquascape in the next week :) Ill have a go at that removal of sharp edges thing, sounds like it will make it look clean and tidy:)

No i didn't, however i did leave little gaps between the sides of the plastic and the tank:) I dont want some roots to spread though because if i decide on some hc or hairgrass i do not want it to merge together:)

Hi all, i have come to Newquay for the weekend so i will be updating monday with the sand:) I had no time on friday because i got home, got changed, and was on the road:D Can anyone advice me on a list of what i would need for diy lillies:) The pipe will need to fit a 2213 hose.

Just a quick question. I have had my wood soaking for a week or so and it has all sunk, can i now take it out and place it in the aquarium for around a week until i finally plant and fill it up or will i have to soak it again? Will be posting the (River) in a few hours!!

OK!! I got home today to find a package waiting for me, this being the maui sand from AE. I started off with removing the excess soil between the two pieces of cardboard where the (river) was going to be situated. I then got to work of chucking in the sand, Which surprisingly was rather wet when it came out of the bag?! After removing the cardboard supports i got to shaping the sand to form the nice swoop. Once pleased i grabbed my wood out the bucket that had been soaking for a week and placed it in being careful not to disturb the bank supports. Once all the wood was in i placed a small cup with water in to keep the tank humid. Finally i covered the tank in clingfilm to keep the wood damp:) Here are the pictures as always:

The sand just opened.
7197896552_60d72328f4_b.jpg
IMG_0172 by Harry.R, on Flickr

I wonder why the sand itself was damp?
7197893732_33cb44dbcb_b.jpg
IMG_0174 by Harry.R, on Flickr

Sand in...
7197890962_2661472f7d_b.jpg
IMG_0175 by Harry.R, on Flickr

FTS
7197887680_bb8680865a_b.jpg
IMG_0176 by Harry.R, on Flickr

Diff Angle.
7197884566_bc0f1f05c3_b.jpg
IMG_0178 by Harry.R, on Flickr

7197881894_365fe56780_b.jpg
IMG_0179 by Harry.R, on Flickr

Cleaned up.
7197879002_545ce9d7a6_b.jpg
IMG_0180 by Harry.R, on Flickr

Looking down the river.
7197876354_75b56b0a66_b.jpg
IMG_0181 by Harry.R, on Flickr

Wood in!
7197873412_34fb857bdb_b.jpg
IMG_0182 by Harry.R, on Flickr

Diff Angle.
7197870436_2f8454b005_b.jpg
IMG_0183 by Harry.R, on Flickr

Clingfilm and water pot in place
7197867650_1b3ae58e83_b.jpg
IMG_0184 by Harry.R, on Flickr

Thanks for reading, any suggestions for plants and advice would be much appreciated:) Make sure to stay updated this week as my filter will be arriving!

Re: [NANO]Nature's River(Hardscaping in Progress,*RIVER MADE

Looking good harry!! You have the "'scapers eye" it seems :D

Really starting to take shape Harry. All these damn rivers, when I get round to doing mine it aint gonna be very original, LOL. Are you hoping to plant something along the "river bank" to delineate the river from the rest ?

I like the idea of the anubias in the middle of the wood:) Any particular type?

Thanks Kris, seems i have... My art teacher once told me i had an eye for Art haha :lol:

I am unsure about what you mean to 'delineate' anti :lol: What plants would you suggest anyway? :)

Back