• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nature's river **New journal**

Re: ADA Mini M-ish Journal (HARDSCAPE, LIGHTS + AQUASOIL!))

HarryRobinson said:
The wood is placed securely and will hopefully not float up due to the amazonia weighing it down 🙂
:lol: You wanna bet ? I had mine stuck down in substrate and it still floated ! If you are waiting a few days till the filter arrives, why not soak the wood in a bucket meanwhile ? :thumbup:

This is taking shape nicely though I have to wonder if you have just one or two bits too much wood in there ? That first bit was beautiful and I think you have potentially overcrowded it now. At the end of the day its what you like the look of best, but if you have not already, have a bit more of a play 😉

I LOVE the light fittings. So each of those bulbs is 3 x 1w ? ? They poke out a decent amount of light. You must be well pleased.

Does this mean im gonna have to place my wood, AGAIN!! ahhh this is music to my ears, not, hahaha. I think your right too, i may take a piece or two out 🙂 Im very pleased with the lights, lets hope they grow plants decently!

Thats nicer, but dont stop there, LOL. You could try a few alternatives. It definitely looks less clustered though. On the right track :thumbup:

Prefer the pre tweek. The tweek brings the wood too far out into the tank. The previous one keeps the wood in the right area following more closely to the rule of thirds. Sorry 🙄

It's all looking good to me! (Maybe I'm just undiscriminating :lol: ).

I guess a lot of how you choose to arrange your wood will relate to what kind of planting you go for. If you end up with something very dense and jungly, then your lovely wood would get lost, so you might opt for something that's more outward pointing. If it were my tank, I think I'd keep all the wood in, and go for mosses and low growing plants, with crypts or similar around the base. Possibly some stems at the back. But not enough to obscure that wood - it's fab! :thumbup:

That's the joy of this hobby, though, you can do whatever makes you happy 😀

sarahtermite said:
It's all looking good to me! (Maybe I'm just undiscriminating :lol: ).

I guess a lot of how you choose to arrange your wood will relate to what kind of planting you go for. If you end up with something very dense and jungly, then your lovely wood would get lost, so you might opt for something that's more outward pointing. If it were my tank, I think I'd keep all the wood in, and go for mosses and low growing plants, with crypts or similar around the base. Possibly some stems at the back. But not enough to obscure that wood - it's fab! :thumbup:

That's the joy of this hobby, though, you can do whatever makes you happy 😀

I totally agree 😉 It all boils down to individual preference. But hey, when someone asks for opinions, the people making suggestions are gonna say what their preference is. For me, Sarah's option of low plants and moss would allow that amount of wood to dominate the scape. I always like to see a bit of height in a tank as well as foreground plants. Tom Barr's "Dutch Something or Other" tank is testimony to different height plants complimenting the wood rather than hiding it. For me, its all about subtlety with neither plants nor hardscape dominating.

Started to think about the rule of thirds more and the golden ratio, came up with this 😉 I really like it.

6990853078_6161677224_b.jpg
IMG_0156 by Harry.R, on Flickr

A few tweaks.
7136963587_fdb725df12_b.jpg
IMG_0160 by Harry.R, on Flickr

Thats pretty darn good Harry. I love the emergent bits of wood at the top too. See what playing around a bit more does for you ? That manzy is superb too. You have some cracking pieces. You have made me want to do me rescape quicker now, but I am flat broke 🙁 LOL

As an aside, had you thought about using AS powder on top of the larger grain ? Or putting a section of sand in there in a similar vein to James's 60P ?

With the way you have that, if you banked up on the front right a bit more you could have a "riverbed" running through from centre front to back right, using something like Unipac Maui sand (course grain). Again, just a thought.

Now THAT is a cracking idea :thumbup: I will start thinking of that and will get some sand 🙂 What sand other than that maui sand would you suggest? The maui looks rather white. 🙂 Great thinking matey.

EDIT** how about Samoa sand? http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/unipac- ... -5169.html

I might go with the maui then if the contrast is the problem 🙂 Seeming as it will be partially shaded under the wood, it wont look as bright. Heres a pic on the river placement, No sand till i order it tomorrow 🙂

7139067425_5110ca308e_b.jpg
IMG_0163 by Harry.R, on Flickr
6992984152_180494d88a_b.jpg
IMG_0164 by Harry.R, on Flickr
7139070013_99f6a8cb8f_b.jpg
IMG_0165 by Harry.R, on Flickr

Re: Nature's River (Hardscaping in Progress)

Lol. Its a start. I am in two minds whether to suggest the improvement I have in mind, because its exactly what I wanted to do for mine. But I will make the suggestion anyway. If you give some movement to the riverbed part by having it "sweep" from somewhere in the front left third to somewhere in the back right third, it will draw your eye into the back of the scape more than having a straight line as it is there. (This comes from photographic principles as well as scaping ones 😉 ). Keep playing :thumbup:

Okay so i think i conquered the sweep🙂 How does this look matey? (I've mashed up some slate and stone i have for a contrast from soil to sand) I don't know whether to use them or not, they're just there if i need them 😉

7139232385_29b8c34658_b.jpg
IMG_0166 by Harry.R, on Flickr
7139233519_d8646352ac_b.jpg
IMG_0167 by Harry.R, on Flickr
6993149858_dea7e2b2a4_b.jpg
IMG_0168 by Harry.R, on Flickr

Looks good,
Here is samoa (coarse) in vast quantities (over 12.5kg) http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=19969
Have you also thought about graded gravels to transition between the sand and amazonia?

OllieNZ said:
Looks good,
Here is samoa (coarse) in vast quantities (over 12.5kg) http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=19969
Have you also thought about graded gravels to transition between the sand and amazonia?

I second that idea Ollie.

And also, how are you retaining the banking of the Amazonia ? Have you used substrate supports ? Because if not it will be flat within a few weeks. currugated plasti is the cheapest way of doing. Hotweldfire had some stuff that he used and I cannot remember what it was called so maybe if he is reading this he can chime in ? You can BUY substrate support material of course, but I don't see why anyone would pay aquatic industry prices for something you can get for a lot less just because its called "substrate support" LOL.

I'm sure I read a post where someone used cut up dvd cases?

Anyway, loving the wood and what your doing with it, so tempting to stuff it with needle/narrow leaf java ferns. Those light's look swish too, wouldn't mind having a play with something like that myself.. If you wanted to tidy things up a thin piece of pvc cable trunking could have gone straight down the back of the unit from the light fitting.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Self-Adhesive ... 84ba02b927

Oh, I kinda like the effect of the backlight blue led's too. :thumbup:

Back