• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nano Scape (hogans alley)

G H Nelson

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
Hi gang @ Ukaps
I thought it was time to add a few pictures of my forth coming scape.
Tank is the same size at Neil Ws.
12x10x8 inches approx.
NanoScape1001-1.jpg

NanoScape1004.jpg

NanoScape1003.jpg

I want to use the ledge of this Dragon Stone I have a few ideas maybe something like this
images1.jpg

More photos to come later any ideas welcome.
Cheers
hoggie

Hi gang @ ukaps
Sorry about the separate posts but i seem to be getting logged out before finishing.
Well the previous pictures where taken a few weeks back before I went on holiday.
Here is a run down of the equipment I will be using on this set-up.
12 X 10 X 8 inches approx Opti-white tank courtesy of Neil W.
T5 Overhead luminary 18w x 2 dual switch.
Eheim ecco external filter.
In-line heater.
Co2 injection with EI fertilization.
Co2 Nano drop checker modified.
Glass 10mm lily pipes to be added later.
Regards
hoggie

could be interesting,get the substrate in :lol: .

have you stuck magnets to the DC's ?.

Well gang
Added a half a bag of Flora-Base substrate black.
Did a bit of minor scaping.Here is another few photos the quality is not that great..... I need to get a new camera.
NanoScapeStage2002.jpg

NanoScapeStage2004.jpg

NanoScapeStage2001.jpg

Regards
hoggie

nelson said:
could be interesting,get the substrate in :lol: .

have you stuck magnets to the DC's ?.
Spot on.....siliconed 1 magnet to the drop checker.
I dislike those suction cups, they go white after a while and stick out like a sore thumb..... when using C02 injection.
hoggie

Hi Nelson
Im not that sure yet I would like to keep to the smallest plants possible.
HC comes to mind also dwarf hair grass....I havent been that succesful in the past with both of these so maybe its time to have another bash........lack of flow water movement could have been the problem.
Im gonna try and carpet those ledges,thats going to take more thought.
Also i may try and do some thing with the 2 species of Cabomba and Limnophila sessislflora i will have to order these.
When i get the plants into the substrate it will be capped with gravel/sand.
Cheers
hoggie

i reckon the 4 low stones at the front will get covered/lost by HC.
also sand will probably go through the florabase.

nelson said:
i reckon the 4 low stones at the front will get covered/lost by HC.
also sand will probably go through the florabase.
Neil
You could be right on the stone count,will have to think of a solution to that if any.
I'm not that bothered about the sand gravel mixing with the flora- base as long as it looks okay.
It can be sieved out if I want to re-scape the tank later.
hoggie

maybe bigger/deeper stones or angle them a bit so they're higher.
if you're having any open area with the sand and gravel you can just move the florabase out of the way.

I really like the positioning of your Dragon Stone, and the depth of the substrate at the back, looks really natural, well done! :D

Cheers for that.
This is my first journal although Ive kept planted aquariums for about 10 years.
So here goes. Ive got a few ideas but Ill save them for late-rs ;)
Regards
hoggie

The setup looks like its got great potential mate :thumbup:

Your idea of the low lying 'ledge' of rock reminds me of the centre of TGMS 'Fallen Tree' scape - maybe worth a look to check out how they handled the placement of the smaller stones. I think Nelson is right when he said they'll get lost under the carpet. I lost a couple of my small stones under the tide of moss :lol:

Maybe even a single species of carpeting plant could work for the whole tank, you wouldn't struggle growing anything with that power of light and CO2. You seen this stuff at all - Elatine hydropiper?

Hi Neil
I had been looking at Elatine hydropiper and the others on GM.
Still haven't decided yet.....Ive got to get the C02 up and running tomorrow got a slight problem I bought a UP atomiser and packed it away somewhere that good I cant find it. :lol:
Never mind, not a major problem also got to attach the in-line heater.
Also need to do a water change and add symtec filter cloth.
I need to go down into the garage and shed a mooch about for some goodies for the capping.
I would love to get my hands on swimming pool filter silica gravel/sand I think the colour would go well with the stone.
More updates later.
hoggie

very nice hoggie, E.hydropiper looks like a cool carpeting plant(ive orderd a pot myself), or classic HC would look great. i may have to steal your magnet idea :)

looks very promising

nayr88 said:
very nice hoggie, E.hydropiper looks like a cool carpeting plant(Ive ordered a pot myself), or classic HC would look great. i may have to steal your magnet idea :)

Cheers no problem
The magnets are 10mmx5mm also I bought 8mmx3mm.
I have also used heat shrink on the larger Drop Checkers this seems to be a better option and it doesn't discolour so far.
Ive also used silicone but Ive had a few failures but that's trial and error.
Here is a few snaps.
008.jpg

006.jpg

Regards
hoggie

Good idea on the magnets..

I wonder if it would make sense to heat shrink them as well, or at least the one outside the tank. I am always thinking that they would break the glass. :)

Good idea indeed.

Hi gang its the same old story.
The broadband is down so I'm up the pub any excuse :lol: to give you a update.
Its my day off before I get accused of laziness.
The 10 mm lily pipes are in also the in-line heater.
Ive got some Co2 up and running for the moment.
The regulator may have to be switched if I want to use a UP atomiser its running at 1.5 bar.

011.jpg

009.jpg

Ive got this in reserve
012.jpg

Here is a few more pictures.
009.jpg

016.jpg
http://i92
I will try and get back to you all soon.
Regards
hoggie

Back