• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Myrtle's MTS - a photographic tour!

Myrtle

After a joking comment on another thread that I should do a guided tour of my multiple tank syndrome tans, I figured why the Hell not. I'm now up to 15 tanks, mostly nanos, all low tech, so here they all are in no particular order:
1st is a 60cm low tech planted which is home to a pair of Macropodus spechti, Black Paradise fish. I've been gradually lowering the hardness of the water as the temperature has increased to promote spawning and changed to a sponge filter to calm the water for the same reason. We have bubble nests but no spawn yet...
20230619_144642.jpg

2nd is the as yet unoccupied stream, probably going to be WCMM as it is unheated.
20230619_144854.jpg

3rd and 4th are the fry tanks on my bedroom windowsill. Currently housing individual Betta juveniles before they head to pastures new. They also serve as places to put plants that I have no room for but can't bear to dump...
20230620_144213.jpg

5th is my nano Dutch inspired tank, usually houses a couple of shrimp and some water slaters, but currently housing another juvenile betta... The frogbit is for his benefit. The planting is still new and being low tech, it's going to take a while to grow in but hopefully I can have a play with trimming and stuff along the way.
20230620_144155.jpg

Number 6 is another nature style low tech, housing a group of Sparkilng Gourami and a pair of Lyretail Killies (hence the attractive spawning mop). They actually cohabit quite well with the gourami under the wood on the left and the killies on the right. The female killie occasionally goes into the gourami side whilst escaping the attentions of the male, but it's not met with aggression and she's only chased if she goes under the wood. Hopefully they'll be fine together long term.
20230620_144141.jpg

Number 7 is the Cube which is a dirted tank. Currently trying to balance the right amount of emersed foliage with still letting light through to the plants below. Home to Pygmy corys, Harlequin rasbora and several juvenile betta.
20230620_144125.jpg

8th is my blue shrimp tank. It's on a south facing windowsill so there's plenty of algae for them to eat! Also serves as a fry tank (hence the tub floating in the left corner...)
20230620_144108.jpg

Number 9 is a kind of experimental dumping ground for excess emersed plants. The substrate is coco coir and inhabitants are daphnia. I'm currently debating what might live there one day, if anything, as it's only 17 litres. Sorry about the reflections :eek:
20230619_144811.jpg

Number 10 is just a bit of fun with Dutch style again (not following the rules, just learning about it) and is currently home to 3 shrimp. It's just had a trim and it's lacking a lot of shape and definition right now!
20230619_144723.jpg

Number 11 is the ricefish pond. Since taking the photo, the emersed plants have moved to tank 9
20230613_183204.jpg

Number 12 is the Daisy's Ricefish biotope. A blue shrimp has made its way in there too, probably when transferring the fry back to the adult tank, so not quite a biotope now... Houses an untold number of ricefish babies plus the adults.
20230608_183618.jpg

13th is the bog beast thing, home to no aquatic creatures (sometimes there are a few copepods/ostracods). Tiny bits of UG are still hanging on but an outbreak of cyno didn't help...
20230529_074144.jpg

14th is the impossible to photograph Betta imbellis tank. Nearing the time for the first born juveniles to move out before the males reach sexual maturity and it turns into a bloodbath. Right now, all is peaceful though.
20230526_142638.jpg

Last, but not least, number 15 is the Arium. Home to some yellow shrimp and a colony of Dwarf Merry Widows.
20230620_152937.jpg

I hope you enjoyed this whirlwind tour of my multiple tank syndrome :)

Attachments

• 20230102_185624.jpg
    20230102_185624.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 94
Wow, just wow. That's amazing. You've done it now. You've got no choice but to keep this thread updated 😁
Seriously though, it'd be great to see all of these together again and how they're coming along at some point in the future.

Thanks everyone! They're actually surprisingly low maintenance, which is probably why I ended up setting the dutch style ones up as I wanted something to actually trim! I think multiple nanos are easier than a couple of big tanks as maintenance can be spread out rather than having to do it all at once.
I'll definitely try to keep it updated, at least once in a while!

I have to agree, great collection of tanks and also my fav type, low techs :) looking forward to future updates :)

Love them all, I would be the same if I could. Tanks everywhere in every room.
No.9 - pipefish just a thought. It looks very mature, and already seeded life. Plenty of areas for them to hunt amongst the roots. And chuck in some shrimp culls, and you can watch them snatching berries from the females saddles.
Or the Indostomus Paradoxus/crocodilus same but toothpick sized pipefish. Great wee things to watch.

Or even something like the Egyptian mouth brooders. Have kept them outdoors in summers in tub ponds. Great little golden fish 🐟

Back