• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My plants are decaying why

sai_786

Hi guys my Limnophila Aromatica is and other plants are decaying in bottom but the top stems are doing fine I don't know why, and my water parameters are ammonia nitrite and nitrate are zero and Gh is 4 dgh and dosage are by Monday potassium Wednesday by potassium and iron and Friday potassium and Saturday water change and by second week Monday potassium Wednesday nitrogen And phosphorus and by Friday its potassium and Saturday again water change and the lighting is morning 9am to 2pm and co2 by 7am to 12pm so just point out me where I am missing and even the Moss looks dull just see the video and help me

Limnophila Aromatica like most stems need a lot of light/flow/Co2/ferts to keep in top condition!
Cut the plant and replant the tops....remove the old bottom pieces....don't plant the stems too close together.

OK you want me to pull out the entire plant and replant them again OK and how about my lights co2 and fertilizer as I mentioned above

More information would be helpful.

Hi guys my Limnophila Aromatica is and other plants are decaying in bottom but the top stems are doing fine I don't know why,
That's an easy one... the oxygen/or more importantly the co2 levels lower down are not sufficient to sustain plant growth. Think about the flow, and distribution of said gases around the tank.
Aquatic plants need things in certain orders of magnitudes, if they get them they will be fine, nutrients, as in fertilizer are way down on on the order of "importance" and yet... we still discuss it.

Nelson is it OK to cut the stem till the bottom rather than pulling them out of soil and replanting or just cut an inch above so that it can regrow

@GHNelson
Yes, you can do that if you wish!

More information would be helpful.
As I said its two months old tank with Ada soil of 80 liters with boyu external canister with matrix and water flow with Lily pipe in one end and the surface Skinner at the opposite end for the full water circulation and drop checker is at light green and co2 dosing 3 bubbles per second rest details at the top

The plants look healthy enough!
Just keep on what you are doing....I would increase the lighting to 6 hours then 7 over the next few weeks.
Keep a check on the Nitrate level....too low and you may get Nitrate deficiency.

The plants look healthy enough!
Just keep on what you are doing....I would increase the lighting to 6 hours then 7 over the next few weeks.
Keep a check on the Nitrate level....too low and you may get Nitrate deficiency.
OK you say plant looks healthy but bottom leaves got rotten weather can I cut the stem till the substrate and replant them or shall I just remove the dead leaves only and if I cut the stem till substrate the left over below the substrate will automatically decay don't mind for too many questions because I am New to this please help me

If you don't want to remove the old roots cut the stems above the substrate a inch as you say!
The remaining part may grow but I'm sure it wont be as healthy as the tops.
Limnophila Aromatica tend to shed leaves near the bottom of the stem....its one of their traits if insufficient light etc doesn't reach there!

If you don't want to remove the old roots cut the stems above the substrate a inch as you say!
The remaining part may grow but I'm sure it wont be as healthy as the tops.
Limnophila Aromatica tend to shed leaves near the bottom of the stem....its one of their traits if insufficient light etc doesn't reach there!
So I will go as you suggest I shall cut till substrate rather pulling them fully out and replant the top stems in the same place how that it sounds

1. Oxygen.
2. Oxygen.
3. Oxygen.
Nope!
It won't matter how much Oxygen you give these stems......insufficient light and the lack of separation of stems they will always shed leaves, similar to the leaves of all stem plants will do........ just like Rotala sp bunched together!
Or any run-of-the-mill local Fish Store bundled stem acquisitions.
In my opinion!

It won't matter how much Oxygen you give these stems..
Here's my theory:
From the plant's perspective, mature leaf is a finished job and should contribute to the well-being of the plant. It should generate and provide:
1. sugars, from photosynthesis,
2. oxygen (the lower/older the leaves, the more they contribute to oxygen flow to the roots, while upper leaves to the apex "under construction"), and
3. nutrients.
A mature leaf should never be a liability to the plant as a whole, always an asset, or (!) neutral. At the same time, a mature leaf needs some amount of above mentioned 'goods' for itself - for routine respiration and for repairs.
A leaf is in negative numbers when it requires the plant to supply sugars, oxygen, or nutrients. Of these, demand for nutrients is small, the leaf is already build-up and not much nutrients are required for repairs. As for sugars, I think (and observed accordingly) that even shaded leaves do perform some photosynthesis, and supposedly create enough sugars for the leaf's needs (if not seriously damaged or in some trouble). But oxygen, oxygen is needed all the time, respiration runs permanently and cannot be delayed, and there is very limited storage capacity for oxygen within a leaf.
That is why I believe that a leaf is in the greatest danger of falling into red numbers in connection with oxygen. If its oxygen balance is negative, the plant sheds it.

I do not insist that my theory is flawless and complete. And I admit that observation often does not look like in accordance with it. But there are many troubles which may happen, and I think at the core of such troubles is oxygen, because increased respiration results from all kinds of stress.

Last edited:
It's a very good theory but genetically we all have a sell-buy date even leaves/plants....in layman's terms!

Most of these stem plants are wax and wane seasonally.....emersed/submersed some not even that!

I can grow most plants without substrate which I have done in the past......with high light decent amounts of Co2 and minimal Oxygen levels.

Plants produce 02/Co2 as a by-product and re-cycle it ......even with the light switched off a quote from Clive and Tom Barr.
I will take Clive's and Tom Barr's word for it!......they have been around planted tanks a lot more than I have!

Light is the driving force.....not enough light plants no likey!
But there is a double-edged sword.....too much and not enough removal of plant waste material then you will have Green Thread Algae and the like!

Flow is very important especially when it comes to Rhizome plants!
Bucephalandra and Microsorum will self-destruct around the rhizome to save themselves not because of less oxygen, but more so not enough light and poor flow with not enough nutrients, that tells me something that I need to address if it starts happening to the plants.
Just my opinion!

Hi guys my Limnophila Aromatica is and other plants are decaying in bottom but the top stems are doing fine I don't know why, and my water parameters are ammonia nitrite and nitrate are zero and Gh is 4 dgh and dosage are by Monday potassium Wednesday by potassium and iron and Friday potassium and Saturday water change and by second week Monday potassium Wednesday nitrogen And phosphorus and by Friday its potassium and Saturday again water change and the lighting is morning 9am to 2pm and co2 by 7am to 12pm so just point out me where I am missing and even the Moss looks dull just see the video and help me
As I said its two months old tank with Ada soil of 80 liters with boyu external canister with matrix and water flow with Lily pipe in one end and the surface Skinner at the opposite end for the full water circulation and drop checker is at light green and co2 dosing 3 bubbles per second rest details at the top
What are the source of fertilizer that are being added? What are the exact water parameters other than the listed 4 dgh?

Nope!
It won't matter how much Oxygen you give these stems......insufficient light and the lack of separation of stems they will always shed leaves, similar to the leaves of all stem plants will do........ just like Rotala sp bunched together!
Or any run-of-the-mill local Fish Store bundled stem acquisitions.
In my opinion!
Yes what I have done is I have planted all stems very closely so that the light is unable to enter the base of the stems

Back