• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal My new pond

Cheers guys.

Managed to get a bit more done during half term.
Got some blocks laid on one end of the filter chamber,
27022011222.jpg

27022011223.jpg

Next step now is to get the pond dug so I'm talking to guy I know about him getting a digger in and digging it out with that rather than me hiring a bobcat. I'm hoping to get it finished over the Easter holiday ready for the summer koi growing season!

Been a while I've updated on here but things are moving along nicely!

Dug out some more by hand,
25042011266.jpg

Found some interesting stuff,
Concrete pipe peices,
25042011264.jpg

A lot of hardcore,
25042011267.jpg

As I said, a lot of hardcore!
25042011268.jpg

A black water tank (for a water feature maybe?)
30042011273.jpg

Armoured cable to he water feature,
30042011276.jpg

Now coiled up,
30042011277.jpg

Found a few small roots too...
01052011280.jpg

01052011281.jpg

Then I got a digger in and some qualifed help...
11062011441.jpg

After the first weekend,
11062011446.jpg

13062011448.jpg

Then after the second weekend with the digger,
25062011467.jpg

25062011466.jpg

19062011458.jpg

And the base for the patio done too,
25062011465.jpg

And time for tea after all the hard work!
19062011457.jpg

Cheers guys!

Walls went up yesterday. Builder worked a minor miracle. In an afternoon we went from hole in the ground to something that's starting to look like a pond!

Far end started. 4" blocks laid on their side.
02072011471.jpg

Blockwork done and facing bricks going up.
02072011472.jpg

Filter chamber wall done.
02072011473.jpg

Facing bricks nearly finished.
02072011474.jpg

All done!
02072011475.jpg

Well nearly done. I've just got to run an line of bricks around the outside edge of the other three walls. The liner will then go up over the wall and I'll lay a course of blue engineering bricks on the inside to trap the liner and mean no liner is showing above the water line as I hate that!

I just love ponds, shame I don't have a garden, been following this one closely, looking forward to the finished article! Congrats Ed :)

I dont really know much about the trends and whats been done / has'nt been done in the world of ponds, but would'nt it be great if along one side you could incorporate a narrow dugout with step going down to a viewing window. This would add a whole new dimensions to the pond? :)

SteveUK said:
Amazing stuff Ed! That's going to be a massive pond! Remind me how many gallons etc?

About 5,500 UK gallons turned over once an hour. There'll be an aerated bottom drain in the centre of the base and a surface skimmer both feeding to a seive filter. The water is then pumped over a shower filter and will return via a 4" pipe back to the pond under the surface.

greenjar said:
I dont really know much about the trends and whats been done / has'nt been done in the world of ponds, but would'nt it be great if along one side you could incorporate a narrow dugout with step going down to a viewing window. This would add a whole new dimensions to the pond? :)

Not a huge fan of normal pond windows. Think the frame around them makes it look like a small window into the pond and you look through that rather than admiring the whole pond. Then you've almost got a giant tank rather than a pond. I like my pond to be a pond and to look at my fish from the top. A friend is building an amazing pond with an acrylic window in the side which will look amazing as it's not framed at the top and if I had to have a window it'd be like that.

Not been able to do much over the summer, but have got the patio done. Will post a photo soon.

Hi guys. Not finished yet I'm afraid! Been far too busy and the weather's been rubbish. Will be done come summer!

This looks really great and stunning! Makes mine look like a shame. Though something like this will just inspire me to get something even bigger. I mean, I would really like to have one stunning pond like this but the area where I originally planned to have a pond over have been transformed into a sandbox area for the kids, but that is very easy to tuple over anyway.

Things are moving along nicely but I haven't taken any pics recently. I've trimmed the sides and levelled the base. I've also totally redesigned the plans for the filter - I'm going to use static and fluidised K1 in a gravity fed filter and then return the water to the pond via air uplifts. The whole pond will run from 2 air pumps and should turn over around once an hour.

Next steps are to get all the pipework delivered and I'm currently trying to source the filter chambers.

Back