• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My Green Plants Suffer From Yellowing

A pH profile will give a good indication of the relative [CO2] when your from lights on and also highlight any CO2 fluctuations- which is the main cause of issues in CO2 injected tanks.
Basically take the pH of the tanks water from before CO2 comes on every 30mins till lights off or till CO2 off.
The aim is to have as stable/steady a pH from lights on till CO2, it's one of the trickiest things to achieve in a CO2 injected tank and the main cause of issues in CO2 injected tanks.
pH pen very useful cheap ones are OK but good ones much better OFC.
Got it @Zeus. I will do and register PH reads along the day and report back the result here to discuss together

This is one of the best links to plant deficiencies.
http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/deficiencies.htm

Yellow leaves, as pointed out is usually Magnesium or Iron deficiency.
Hi @ian_m welcome back I hope find you well my tank be better after following and applied your notes thanks for above link it’s really good reference

Back to Magnesium & Iron deficiency how I can specify what is the missing elements and know if supplement needed please ?

Last edited:
You need to look what of your fertilisers is adding iron and what is adding magnesium (if any).

If you dose magnesium sulphate (available from garden centres, Boots and Ebay) all plants will green up as magnesium is mobile in the plant.

If you dose extra iron, only new leaves will be greener as iron is not mobile in the plant, so old leaves will remain yellow.

Iron should be dosed daily (or alternate days if dosing other ferts) as it will very quickly react out of solution (24 hours ??) depending on iron type, pH of tank, amount plants and other chemicals present in the water.

Though to be honest some of the yellowing in the pictures looks like plants "burning" due yo too much light.

Hi @ian_m thanks for reply

Well noted and do you think I must keep going to dose evolution aqua and adding Iron supplement like seachem iron ?

Regarding the light I just bought this light 25w 6700k for 160 litre and 45 cm water highest is the perfect choice to my tank so do you think should make the bulbs higher up to the surface Is the solution or I have to change the lights ?

Thanks for reply @Zeus. so do you expects is the solution or I have to change the lights? :banghead:

Lowering the light intensity is a good first step until you get CO2 and ferts in order along with flow. Then when things stabilise you can work your way up bit by bit on everything.

I doubt there's anything wrong with your lights. I grow successfully under a 3w 2500k in a 25 litre tank - albeit very slowly. The rest of my tanks run temperatures between 5000-7000k with supplementary blues/reds and they are fine too.

Lowering the light intensity is a good first step until you get CO2 and ferts in order along with flow. Then when things stabilise you can work your way up bit by bit on everything.

I doubt there's anything wrong with your lights. I grow successfully under a 3w 2500k in a 25 litre tank - albeit very slowly. The rest of my tanks run temperatures between 5000-7000k with supplementary blues/reds and they are fine too.

So I will increase the light height above the water as a first step and make PH profile as requested and will back with result by the way below my lights details

INTENSE 25W NEO SOLAR HI POWER LED
A996299A-3B55-464A-9EB9-5DA98EE64543.png

Update : the height of the light now is 20 CM above the water while water depth is 40 CM please let me know if I did something wrong

Last edited:
Again no clue, i have no idea wether these put out high or low numbers.
Seeing you have problems increasing the distance between light and tank is a safe measure for now. More plants are killed/ have problems due to to much light compared to to little light.

Again no clue, i have no idea wether these put out high or low numbers.
Seeing you have problems increasing the distance between light and tank is a safe measure for now. More plants are killed/ have problems due to to much light compared to to little light.
Got it with many thanks @Edvet

Another issue please I just noticed black algae shaped spores appeared so to what it indicates and how to get rid of it

Back