• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My fish seem to have no fear - problem with tank maintenance

W1368

My fishies have begun this annoying behaviour over the past few weeks.

Each time I open the top flap of my tank, the fish go crazy expecting to be fed. No matter what I put into the tank wether it be tweezors or an algae scaper they follow the object around the tank looking very excited. Siphoning out the water gets a little awkward as they follow the gravel cleaner around the tank.

I usaully wear a JBL cleaning glove as I find this does a better job - yet its taking what would normaly be a relaxing task into a stressful situation. I'm a bit squeemish when the fish try to nibble on my exposed arm and follow my hand around.

Up until recentely, they'd swim to the other side of the tank whenever anything other that food is placed into the water.

I've tried cleaning the tank at different stages, before lights come on, couple of hours after feeding. I would try with the lights off, although its impossible to see what I'm doing in there.

I thought at one point I could have been underfeeding, but slowly increasing the food results in cloudy water.

A change of diet is the only thing I can think of when this phonomenon started to begin. I swapped basic Tetra granulles to Hicari micro pellets, once a week frozen blood worm. About once every 1 or two weeks I miss a day of feeding.

Feeding is once a day at the same time of around 6pm (lights are on 4pm to 11pm).

I certainly hope someone could make sense of this, its turned a hobby into something quite stressful.

Thanks.

Re: My fish seem to have no fear - problem with tank mainten

mine do exactly the same especially the rainbows and barbs.
the large pleco's also come up and quite happily suck on your fingers etc (the big one likes its belly being rubbed)

I'm pretty sure it means your fish are nice and settled in and comfy in their tank + they're now used to you sticking your hands in so not running away frightened any more.

Hi, I would take your fishes behaviour as a compliment. It means that they are very tame and happy. My fish behave in exactly the same way, whenever I put my hand or anything in the tank, they follow it round. When I fill the tank up on water change day, they swim in the splash of the fresh water. Your fishes behaviour is completely normal and it shows that they are settled and confident.

I know what you mean as I jumped out of my skin the first time it happened. Still not keen on it and the odessa's can actually give quite a nip. I don't think there's going to be anything you can do about because as said, it means your fish are happy and settled. Just try to get used to it - free exfoliation and all that :D

Just had a thought ( :wideyed: ), how about trying a frozen block of something like bloodworm, or something your fish like a lot but which lasts, weighted down at one end while you work at the other?

Viv

Have you tried poking them with a stick, I find this very effective on most things the dog, wife, and small children. :lol: Maybe not, but vivs idea does sound good.

danmil3s said "Have you tried poking them with a stick, I find this very effective on most things the dog, wife, and small children."

:lol: I've tried swatting at mine with the gravel cleaner but they just seemed to think it was some sort of joke and I gave up. I'm just glad the loach don't do it 'cos those things can HURT!

Viv

Sorry, I couldn't see the 'reply with quote' button :rolleyes:

count yourself lucky, when i kept mbuna, they were total nutters, feeding time consisted of opening the lid for a fraction of a second :)

Back