• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My first - "3 of life" :)

Yes it took a while, like that potamogoton gayi, it had troubles for months and not doing much but melting.. And then all of a sudden it explodes and goes mental.. Since it is propperly rooted it pops up everywhere. :)

Here is how it looks at a lazy sunday afternoon... I guess this also is part and why not journal that a bit too.. Looking at a scape from another perspective.. :)
DSCF7484 (Kopie).JPG

Started thining out the Hairgrass, jeses Chr.. that stuff is driving me nuts.. It forms massive dense clumps of roots in the substrate, if you start pulling it there is no end to it. This is what i all pulled out and still i have areas needing some more pulling.. This is more painstakin than my girlfriend pulling her eye brows. For now i stopped disturbing and do the rest nex week.. Need to clean this mess all up and plant some back.. But over all it still lots of areas looking way to dens.
DSCF7489 (Kopie).JPG

Well i guess i'm going to have a hair grass carpet in my low tech too. Not going to trash this...

Here some shots from above in an drained tank.. The buce sekadua, almost ready to pop the surface, this plant grew realy fast the last 2 months.. I must be doing something it likes..
DSCF7485 (Kopie).JPG

Can you imagine this was a small anubias petite plantlet with maybe 6 leaves a year ago?? :woot:
DSCF7486 (Kopie).JPG

A nice skirt of HC at the vertical driftwood.. :)
DSCF7487 (Kopie).JPG

At the back of this wood is also a little buce the same as the big one, but its competely overgrown and doesn't realy get a chance to grow. But wait, it's finaly fighting back after a year. Here you see it's still curled leave poping out.
DSCF7493 (Kopie).JPG

All growing on a 25 cm piece of driftwood. So dense i do not know where to start to trim it.. Well should i? Till now i only pulled out yellow leaves. :) That Java Mini needle is also exploding lately, also needs a trim.. Its funny to see those slow growers, explode now and then.
Periodicaly grow fast then slow down again.. Gathering energy for the next run??
DSCF7488 (Kopie).JPG

Here is the emersed anubias petite also took a year dormancy, but finaly starting to like it.. :) BTW.. Find the snail eggs.. Do you see them?? They also lay there eggs emersed. Smart little buggers.. There also is some hairgrass popping out..
DSCF7491 (Kopie).JPG

Well that's it for now, tank is filled again, need to do some puzzling on the hairgrass and clean that up... :thumbup:

The buce sekadua leaves look big
Yes, but it's planted 10cm bellow the surface right in front of the outlet, where it constantly pounded by the flow.. The leaves are about floating at the surface now.
It strugled for a while and melting a bit, bbut the last few months it realy exploded, propagated few new plantlets from the rizhome and grows one leave after the other.

I guess it's the High flow and lots of light, + co2 and ferts ofcourse.. The small one at the back of the wood, gets much less light and no flow, it still tiny, just now since shortly it popped out a leave out of the bush and is there since April last year.. :) Both are same age..

DSCF7494 (Kopie).JPG

Last edited:
I've read Buce like high flow.
Unfortunately mine are low light,low flow and no Co2 :(

Same as my bolbitis heudelotii, same story placed relatively close to the surface in this high tech tank it grows like mad 20 cm leaves one after another have to keep trimming it and in the low tech, at the substrate level a rhizome with one tiny leaf grew only 2 leaves 4cm tall in 8 months.

Pogostemon stellatus is doing realy good and getting bigger than i expected, this plant needs a little help by giving it some support to break the surface.. But as you can see it holds on like a champion and very willing to grow above a small aquarium.. If it ever will flower, it is possible, seen it in Wabi's, just do not know the requirments for that, so if it does in this condition i'm holding it. We'll see.
DSCF7596 (Kopie).JPG

Here a size reference, it stands about 15cm above the water level. With its roots 25cm deeper in the tanks substrate and some hanging in the water column (can't say aerial roots, how's that called actualy for aquatic plants??. The stem made a nice curl like a pig tail if it was straight it would have at least 10cm more height.
DSCF7598 (Kopie).JPG

Did some heavy trimming on the Bog pimpernel and this si now making place for the Mazus reptans hanging over the side of the tank now. It has the same grow characteristics a nice low creeper, just a little bigger leave, a bit shaped like an oak leaf. Also cut off some plantlets from the Echinodorus flower stacks, but still got 2 left.
I think Kleiner Bähr is about done flowering, but far from done with getting bigger
DSCF7602 (Kopie).JPG

On the rights side stump also trimmed a lot of bog pimpernel and HC off. Kinda felt sorry to cut it all away, i distroyed more than planned. But found a nice surpice, the little Buce in a rather nice condition. It was completely covered for over a year by the HC haven't seen it since. It didn't grow much in size but stayed healthy and even propagated some new very small plantlets on it's rhizom.. Remarkable tough plants almost in the dark for a year and still alive and kickin. Also deep down on that vertical driftwood bellow the Buce i found new growth from the Bolbitis sp. Buea (Didymoglossum erosum) i also planted dover a year ago, tought it died off long ago. It's to small and to far hidden away to get on picture. Will be another nice surprice by the time this tank is done and i'll break it down. Who know's what i find back. :woot: But this little fern is still there and planted it last year april.. :)
DSCF7603 (Kopie).JPG

:thumbup:

Planted some Mazus reptans in the emersed bush to see what it will bring..
DSCF7673 (Kopie).JPG

Funny little creeping plant, likes to grow very good and easily brings lovely flowers indoors.
DSCF7671 (Kopie).JPG

This plants is actualy originates from the Himalayan mountains.. Since it requires rather wett conditions i suspect it is found marginal growing close to mountain streams and lakes. It even has very good submersed potentials as it doesn't mind to do that into the pond.. :)

Here we go again.. :woot: Must be getting boring, but not for Kleiner Bähr she doing the Polonaise :lol:.. It keeps on goin, second generation flower, this one is from a plantlet on the old flowerstack. I wonder if this flowerstack also makes a plantlet and that one a flowerstack again.. :clap:
DSCF7741 (Kopie).JPG

DSCF7743 (Kopie).JPG

Mean while pogostemon stellatus is growing bigger and bigger reaching a 60 cm total height now, i had to hang the lights up again and it's also making new side shoots..
Will it ever flower?? As far as i could find out others reported it flowering at 10 to 11 hours light. So that's point blank what i have all the time, but yet doesn't show any signs of it..
DSCF7745 (Kopie).JPG

This one doesn't mind, these are getting also bigger every day.. Went from 3 fingers to 4.. :)
DSCF7742 (Kopie).JPG

:pompus:

Wow... It looks beautiful. May I ask what is the plant on the right side? And is the carpeting-like plant on the left side marsilea?
Thank you.. :) There is a lot going on above this tank.. So it's a bit guessing for me which plant you are excactly refering to..

I guess the right side you refer to the little creeper on the wood with the little round leaves? That's bog pimpernel (Annagalis tenella)
Left side carpetting? I guess you refer to the Mazus reptans which also makes that lila flower or maybe also the bog pimpernel they are both growing there and showing clearly in that pic.. Non of both Actualy resamble marsilea, but it the chaos of leaves i can imagine you don't have a clue what you're looking at if you don't know them. :)

I hope i guessed right, if not you have to point them a bit more specific.. :)

Thank you.. :) There is a lot going on above this tank.. So it's a bit guessing for me which plant you are excactly refering to..

I guess the right side you refer to the little creeper on the wood with the little round leaves? That's bog pimpernel (Annagalis tenella)
Left side carpetting? I guess you refer to the Mazus reptans which also makes that lila flower or maybe also the bog pimpernel they are both growing there and showing clearly in that pic.. Non of both Actualy resamble marsilea, but it the chaos of leaves i can imagine you don't have a clue what you're looking at if you don't know them. :)

I hope i guessed right, if not you have to point them a bit more specific.. :)

Thank you! Going to google those now...

Looking fantastic Marcel:thumbup:
Somehow I keep missing this...even though I'm supposedly watching ito_O

I have that too, not getting alerts to topics i follow.. Guess that's a server hickup, hence that server has to swallow some traffic, it's the busiest forum i've ever seen. So never mind.. You found it anyway.. :thumbup: Thanks for the liking it.. :)

You too Neil thanks and everybody else ofcourse.

Little update on the Pogostemon Stellatus, also a plant realy surprising me and exceeding my expectations completely.. Never thought it would grow into this from a submersed form planted into the substrate of the aquarium at a 25 cm depth.

The tip is a bit burned because it grew against the lights and wasn't stopping, and kept growing towards and pushing itself into the light fixture i could't guide it away from it. Obviously a plant never can or will grow beyond it's lightsource..
DSCF7824 (Kopie).JPG

I couldn't go any higher with it without compromising the tank to much, so i had to install an extra light above the main tank light fixture to make grow beyond the main light source it has.. Now it has a an extra 25 cm of clearance again and an extra light to enjoy.. :)
DSCF7821 (Kopie).JPG

What i also find most remarkable there is a new plant comming all the way up from the substrate and it grew a stem with a crown only without any submersed form leaves and this crown reached the surface by now and is about to pop.
DSCF7826 (Kopie).JPG

This plant reacts the same as the Echinodorus did next to it. It stops making submersed form leaves once it is emersed, even new young leaves developing submersed and with this pogostemon even new stems are already in emersed form.. It realy has a leafles stem all the way from the substrate up with only this crown of leaves at the surface never even didn't notice it beeing there till it was already where it is now and there it is growing some meat and strength to come out. A week ago this crown of leaves was twice as small. So the mother root does not grow both forms at the same time once it is emersed..

Last edited:
Love this style of aquarium - wish I knew how to do it myself. Do you spray the plants with water to keep them moist?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back