• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My Cryptocoryne dominated 100 lt riverscape .

Hi Darrel, iron has crossed my mind too. I had been using a diy solution based on Fe DTPA 11% but stopped using it after many occasional fish deaths which my gut tells me this might have sth to do with.
This is the reason I opted for the Tropica one.

Hi , right now I use two external filters, a Fluval 105 and a Fluval 206. I used to have the latter connected to a spraybar for more flow but I have stopped using it wasn't very convenient and it would clog too often .

I am thinking of buying two filter outflow fittings like the one in the picture. I just want rapid flow. Compared to the standard Fluval outflow hook I feel these are more appropriate. What do you think?
1ff724f0e2bf89e33764d2de8031d9c2.jpg

Hi, thanks! I just went on and ordered two duckbills from ebay they were 2 € each!

How many pandas do you have? They are indeed very lively and they seem to enjoy themselves in the unheated tank.

Never come across panda loaches before they look great! Do you find they are quite active in all areas of the tank, or do they prefer to spend time under cover?

can I ask how much they cost?

Never come across panda loaches before they look great! Do you find they are quite active in all areas of the tank, or do they prefer to spend time under cover?

can I ask how much they cost?
They are very active on all surfaces, mainly the stones and the glass. They do not actively swim on all water levels in case you meant to ask that. They more like " jump" from stone to stone.

They are not widely spread and it is quite rare in the hobby. I believe it may have to do with the fact they are not meant for a " community tank". They seem to enjoy high flow and low temps.

Average price is 8€ each. Dutch wholesalers Ruinemans.com carries them , your local fish store could get some from them probably.

a very natural scape through my eyes, the more I see of tanks like this the more I realise that I am not really into the more prestine look. Dont get me wrong they are beautiful and I can appreciate the art form, but I would get bored looking at them very quickly I think. Good job, and like you love Crypts

Hi guys, it's been a while since my last photo update. Around Christmas I started using some ebay outflows instead of the generic Fluval ones. The idea was to have more turbulent flow. Unfortunately it didn't work as expected, I had limited flow for around a month that resulted in a BBA outbreak that affected my Bucephalandras.
Right now things look better after having fixed the flow.
The five small Gastromyzons I had bought have all grown although they are not all the same size.
CVl3iXA.jpg

wbEmu9C.jpg

Now sth interesting. I wish there was more information available about Panda loaches. I suspect they have matured and hopefully the excavation site I see lately might suggest breeding behaviour. I suspect this could be a separate thread but I am afraid not many people keep them.
vnJCJE1.jpg

uwLnoyb.jpg

N1ISZ2Y.jpg

Finally the way frogbit anchors itself always amazes me.
eK3sMVQ.jpg

Hi guys! I feel it is time for a change. What I want to do is remove around 70% of plant mass and keep just two species. Cryptocoryne Afinnis and Java fern.

By doing so I feel I can have a cleaner look. I want to have more rock surface to enjoy the loaches gliding on them.

Now the question. The tank is dirted and has been running for two years. I would not want to completely remove and replace the substrate. With less plant mass I feel this could encourage algae.

Will there be a problem?

Last edited:
Shouldn't be a problem, especially after 2 years. I would keep as many floating plants as you can and don't remove all the floating ones your removing at once though, just to avoid any temporary water quality fluctuations from suddenly removing 70% plant mass.

Removing submerse growth is always going to improve the environment for algae, but as long as you dont mind cleaning the glass more often, your fish, shrimp and snails will love the extra food anyway :). Enjoyed the tank pics btw, especially love seeing thriving hillstream loaches!

Hi guys, here's an update. In the last few days the tank could be described as smelly. Not a foul smell but rather sth like a seaweed smell.

I should remind you this is a dirted tank that has been running for two full years. What could be the reason. The water temperature is currently 26° and what I did was to clean the filter and change 60% of the water volume.

Any ideas?

Hmmm, is it more seaweedy, or like an eggy sulphur smell? I find seaweedy smells tend to come with more algae, and eggy smells with lots of decaying organics - both could be happening here!

Almost certainly IMO it's just that disturbing the submerse plant roots has also disturbed the waste products of some anerobic bacteria colonies that were doing their thing. Don't worry about the smell affecting the fish, you may see many alarmist posts on various forums claiming the sulphuric chemicals are harmful to the tank inhabitants - but they arent at all in the water column due to the oxygen present. For the sulphuric compounds to be toxic in the water column, oxygen would have to be below equilibrium level to the point the fish would already be visibly suffering badly, you should be totally safe from that with your setup due to the high water circulation :). Every time I've had a "dirted" tank, a large fish eventually digs up the substrate and the dirt ends up being mixed with the sand/gravel 😅. Other than making things look messy, and maybe a temporary smell, it's nothing to worry about.

As it's a hillstream loach tank, just try to maximise oxygen levels - keeping the tank at the lowest temperature comfortable for the inhabitants (I wouldent bother wth a heater for any of your species), increasing surface movement (as much as the floating plants can tolerate) and doing water changes to remove dissolved orgainc carbons as often as convenient. If your not really worried and everything seems fine apart from the smell, or are fed up doing water changes just for a smell, you could add a bag of cheap carbon to the filter every week, or Purigen/Polyfilter are even better but less cost effective options.

Don't worry, the smell will go away soon!

Btw, do you have any Malaysian trumpet snails or any burrowing snails in this tank? If not, I would reccomend some too :).

Hmmm, is it more seaweedy, or like an eggy sulphur smell? I find seaweedy smells tend to come with more algae, and eggy smells with lots of decaying organics - both could be happening here!

Almost certainly IMO it's just that disturbing the submerse plant roots has also disturbed the waste products of some anerobic bacteria colonies that were doing their thing. Don't worry about the smell affecting the fish, you may see many alarmist posts on various forums claiming the sulphuric chemicals are harmful to the tank inhabitants - but they arent at all in the water column due to the oxygen present. For the sulphuric compounds to be toxic in the water column, oxygen would have to be below equilibrium level to the point the fish would already be visibly suffering badly, you should be totally safe from that with your setup due to the high water circulation :). Every time I've had a "dirted" tank, a large fish eventually digs up the substrate and the dirt ends up being mixed with the sand/gravel . Other than making things look messy, and maybe a temporary smell, it's nothing to worry about.

As it's a hillstream loach tank, just try to maximise oxygen levels - keeping the tank at the lowest temperature comfortable for the inhabitants (I wouldent bother wth a heater for any of your species), increasing surface movement (as much as the floating plants can tolerate) and doing water changes to remove dissolved orgainc carbons as often as convenient. If your not really worried and everything seems fine apart from the smell, or are fed up doing water changes just for a smell, you could add a bag of cheap carbon to the filter every week, or Purigen/Polyfilter are even better but less cost effective options.

Don't worry, the smell will go away soon!

Btw, do you have any Malaysian trumpet snails or any burrowing snails in this tank? If not, I would reccomend some too :).
Thank you for taking the time to answer. As you can see from the pictures there is algae on the rocks mainly green algae. No cyano as far as I can tell. The Temperature here has risen lately and this coincides with the smell.

Moreover the panda loaches may have disturbed the substrate. I don believe there could be anaerobic areas with all the crypts I keep.

What I realise is that lately I have started vacuuming the foreground, could this also be considered disturbance?

In any case I still get the smell, some visitors last night mentioned it as politely as they could since the tank is in my living room.

I too hope it will go away. I may have to stop vacuuming the substrate.

Back