• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My Cryptocoryne and Laegenandra culture

Phil Edwards

Hey folks,

I posted this pic in my aquarium build thread not knowing this sub-forum was here and thought I should start a journal in the appropriate location. :)

003_1.jpg

Stats
*Planted 5/4/15
*40x14x14 inch (estimated, not measured) plastic storage box
*38 species of Cryptocoryne and Laegenandra. The complete list eludes me right now
*Pots are pilfered plastic product jars with a 1/2" hole drilled on the side at the bottom with a bit of plastic mesh to keep the growing medium in the jar.
*Growing medium is old Brightwell Aquatics FlorinVolcanit Rio Cafe from the old 300 gallon
*100% weekly water change with tank water. Currently adding 60ppm NO3 and 8ppm PO4 2x/week so the water's got plenty of goodies for the plants.
*Light is sun only. The container gets a couple of hours of direct afternoon/evening sun and ambient light the rest of the day.
*Top has 3x 1/2 inch holes evenly spaced for ventilation

Thanks for watching!

5.13.15 Update-

Did a 100% water change and cleaning with the shop vac and replaced the water with 4 gallons from the 60gal. Removed dead or dying leaves and found my first ever C. zukalii spathe. Pretty happy with that one!

007_4.jpg

009_3.jpg

008_3.jpg

Thanks for watching!

Hi Phil,
is the container completely sealed or there is a hole for gas exchange ?

Hello ismayandi,

There are three 1/2-inch holes for gas exchange. It still stays pretty humid in there and I'm considering increasing either the number or size of vents.

Back