• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My attempt at a 45p style stand

Jimmyc

good morning all. So after reading through the successful cabinet builds, I thought I’d have a go myself. My plan was, to use a hardwood ply for this, but unfortunately i had to result to using MDF!
Popped down to B&Q with all my measurements that someone kindly shared on here, and off i went to look for some ply, but all they had was MDF. Quite disappointing because i know MDF can suffer with a raised surface if it comes into contact with water, but i had no choice at this point, because i had only a day to get it done, so i cracked on with it.
I opted to use pocket holes for this, as i didn’t want any filling to do on the face of the cabinet. It worked out absolutely fine, and it’s solid as a rock. Since it’s the weekend, I’m going to get it painted.here’s some pictures of my results! It turned out pretty good in my opinion.

Attachments

• IMG_9912.jpeg
    IMG_9912.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_9919.jpeg
    IMG_9919.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9920.jpeg
    IMG_9920.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9937.jpeg
    IMG_9937.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9940.jpeg
    IMG_9940.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9941.jpeg
    IMG_9941.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
The only reason i opted for B@Q is because they cut it to how you want, no one else locally offers this, so it was a convenience thing. Next time I’ll i decide to build another one, I’ll be looking at other options, because i don’t think their products are of any quality. That said, it did the job, and I’m bloody hopeless at this diy stuff 🤣🤣

Very nice indeed Jimmy 😊

I’m clueless with DIY also I did use Cut My | Cut to Size DIY Store - No Mess, No Fuss who do custom cut materials in order to get a base out of 18mm marine plywood for my 90cm tank. I don’t have the tools (or skill!) and not a fan of B&Q 😊

All the best with the scape!

Thanks,

Murray
Thanks Murray that’s definitely something to consider for next time. Yeah I’m not a fan myself either, but it was an off the cuff moment I had whilst at home twiddling my thumbs. I was happy to buy one from aquarium gardens, but that’d be another 5-6 hours round trip, so i just fancied having a go myself. It’s nothing special, but it’ll do the job for sure
Thanks
James

It looks really good well done 😊

I added a 3D printed tool holder to the inside of mine. Got it off Etsy for around £11 - was considering magnets / knife rack but this and some Velcro is solid 😊

Added a towel hook to the right hand door for my towel 😊

Attachments

• 9D628AB8-37C7-4687-BE52-A8203B8B4038.jpeg
    9D628AB8-37C7-4687-BE52-A8203B8B4038.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 12
That looks spot on 👌, that’s given me a good idea of what to look for. I’ve been a bit messy lately and keep leaving my things out on top of my tank 😅. Thanks for the tip

Back