• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mr. Aqua 11.4G Riparium - Take 2

hydrophyte

Mr. Aqua 11.4G Riparium - Take 2

I have had this tank sitting empty for almost a year, but I want to set it up again.

A couple of years ago I had a nice planting in here that featured baby panda bamboo (Pogonatherum crinitum). This plant proved to be an excellent choice as nano riparium background foliage, if a bit challenging to grow. It is one of the few riparium plants that I have tried that I would characterize as "high light". You really do have to shine pretty bright light on it or it will grow thin and spindly.

I might use baby panda bamboo for this new planting, or I might opt for something new. I have been testing out a few other new riparium selections and I have some good possibilities.

Here is an old shot showing the tank when I first set it up two years ago. I am going to work on putting it back together today. I also intend to paint the wall a dark purple as a better background color. Plants do not look very good against that dull tan.

30-xii-10-tank-i-m.jpg

Thanks mate! :thumbup:

I need to ponder plant choice for this little setup some more. I might opt for the baby panda bamboo again, or I might opt for this other interesting grass, Pleioblastus fortunei.

27-VII-12-Pleioblastus-fortunei-I-m.jpg

Baby panda bamboo (P. crinitum) is a grass, but it is not a true bamboo. P. fortunei is a true bamboo, and a grass as well of course.

Here's the foliage on the baby panda bamboo. I actually have both the all-green species P. crinitum and the white-variegated "variegatum".

3-iv-10-pogonatherum-crinitum-variegatum-ii-m.jpg

jack-rythm said:
nice photos too mate :)

Thanks again!

Here's another shot to give you an idea of the foliage texture for the Pleioblastus fortunei.

16-vi-12-pleioblastus-fortunei-ii-m.jpg

Most true bamboos are upland forest plants and cannot tolerate having their roots permanently wet in the mud, but P. fortunei is known to do well in semi-aquatic conditions. It is sometimes sold as a pond plant here.

Here's an old picture of that planting from a couple of years ago. The riparium foliage is dominated by Pilea grandifolia, the Pogonatherum crinitum and a single Laguncularia racemosa white mangrove tree.

11-vi-11-pogonatherum-crinitum-iii-m.jpg

Here's the tank in place...

11-XII-12-tank-II-m.jpg

This plant, Lysimachia congestiflora 'Outback Sunset', is one that I only tested out recently as a riparium plant. I like it a lot and I intend to use it in here.

11-XII-12-Lysimachia-congestiflora-Outback-Sunset-I-m.jpg

Here it is with water. I am filling this tank to only about 2 1/2" from the top. This improves the proportions for the whole riparium layout--making the water portion a bit more broad and shallow--and it also might help to keep fish inside this rimless tank.

11-XII-12-tank-IIII-m.jpg

jack-rythm said:
can you explain what it is your aiming to do mate? its interesting to see

Yes I'm doing a riparium planting something like the one that I had in this same tank a couple of years ago (picture below), except that I intend to use different kinds of plants.

4-iv-11-tank-ii-m.jpg

Here it is with the new planting. I am trying to get as much color as I can from this layout. The plants look a bit disheveled, but they will perk up with a week or two to start growing in.

11-XII-12-tank-IV-m.jpg

Interesting.
I'm curious to see how the Lysimachia gets on.
I used to grow several different types terrestrially,in very wet clay soil & also as a marginal.
It was vigorous, to say the least

stu_ said:
Interesting.
I'm curious to see how the Lysimachia gets on.
I used to grow several different types terrestrially,in very wet clay soil & also as a marginal.
It was vigorous, to say the least

Lysimachia spp. are generally very easy to grow like this.

I really like the coral/peach color of the 'Outback Sunset'.

This setup will look like more when I start adding the substrate, hardscape, underwater plants and fish.

Here's this planting again with plants ID'd.

Again, the planting looks pretty crummy right now, but it will perk up as the plants start to grow in.

12-XII-12-tank-I-b.jpg

• A. Ruellia brittoniana 'Katie'
  • B. Musa acuminata 'Super Dwarf Cavendish'
  • C. Oplismenus hirtellus 'Variegatus'
  • D. Pilea 'Moon Valley
  • E. Lysimachia congestiflora 'Outback Sunset'
  • F. Pilea grandifolia
  • G. Pleioblastus fortunei "Dwarf Whitestripe"
  • H. Alternanthera dentata 'Little Ruby'
  • I. Marsilea quadrifolia

I added a dark grey gravel substrate last night and it looks good.

I'm going shopping this afternoon and I might purchase some fish if I can find something suitable for this new setup.

Back