• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Moved house.. new set up and diatoms

st.john

Haven't posted for a while...
Having recently moved house I did the old save filter material, 200ltr of water and asap swap over (took 3 days to get it all done and set up but fish and plants were in 150ltr holding tubs with the filter and all medium was saved and reused). Pretty happy with the set up but omg the diatom outbreak (3 week set up now).. Total nightmare!
Any tips etc would be appreciated.. I guess it's a patience one..

Some pics.. obviously there will be a lot of sorting out over the next few months while I decide what I would like where!
I won't start pruning and serious gardening until the diatom issue has worn itself out.

20171227_211738.jpg

Attachments

• 20171227_211728.jpg
    20171227_211728.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 64
Diatoms are one of those phases of a tank. Out of all the things that can take over a tank diatoms are actually the least annoying because once they’ve eaten all of the surface silica they’ll start to die off and this can be days or a week or two, but they will eventually go.

You can brush and symphonic them out but until their food source disappears they’ll keep company big back, so might as well just leave them.

Ottos apparently eat them but it’s not a good idea to add ottos to a new tank. They love algae and biofilm both of which won’t be available in shiny new setups. I think it’s a myth that they eat algae wafers and cucumber. I have 12 in my tank and not once have they gone for wafers or vegetables! Maybe mine are just super picky... maybe they only eat free range organic vegetables... they’re millennial hipster ottos...

Joking aside, what’s the light green moss on the left of the photos? Looks lovely, I’ve tried java moss to cover my shrimp tubes but it’s so gangly and horrible.

I agree, just wait it out and wipe off anything you can't live with.

Otos would probably be okay as it's not a completely new setup if you're using established filter and I think part of the issue is the lack of biofilm/algae to eat - which you have lots of. No point adding livestock to deal with a short term issue though, unless you want them anyway.

@Chubbs yes you have hipster Otos - mine eat algae waffers and I just started Rapasy gel too which went down well.

@Chubbs that would be Riccia Fluitans - grows really well.

Yup, just that old waiting game. Oh well.

Perfect thank you. I had diatoms for about three weeks. Tried brushing my rocks with a tooth brush and water changes. Always came back. Then I just left it and about a week later it was gone.

Perfect thank you. I had diatoms for about three weeks. Tried brushing my rocks with a tooth brush and water changes. Always came back. Then I just left it and about a week later it was gone.
Yeah man! I've had them a few time after reshuffled etc! Was just hoping that (yet again!) There was a non existent Sort out for it! If you fancy any of the riccia foc just ping me pm.

Back