• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Most efficient water change method for large tank

I think the best waterchange system is the Reefloat. Not sure if I'm allowed to link to their site but it's very well thought of in the UK reef scene. You fill it with fresh water, link it into your system and it slowly circulates the fresh water into your system. Then you disconnect it and drain it. They reckon that you waste about 5% of the fresh water but I think it is well worth it for the convenience. It's fully automated you just set it and go do something else, it beeps when full mixing has been achieved. It can also premix salt water for reefs or I suppose it could re mineralise RO for planted tanks. UK made and excellent customer service too.

I drain out my tank about 25ltrs into a bucket, in the garage i have a 25 water container heating up to temp.
waste water goes on the back garden after I've checked it for little baby shrimp.
I put the ironing board up so its at the same height as the tank, put the clean water container on it, take the lid off and syphon it back into the tank.

The first time i did it the wife got excited it was going to do the ironing.

I siphon 100% of my tanks, both directions - no pumps needed. I'm fortunate to have a high cabinet next to 3 of them, a windowsill next to the other, and downstairs a make shift platform in the form of a stepladder to fill them all up.

As for heating, I tend to run a scalding bath and leave the 25L containers full of the cold water in them until it neutralises. But, I'm going to get a little 12v pump, some aluminum tube and heat my containers using my wood burner to save money on the gas. Obviously in the summer water temp is a non issue.

Question about drip feeding a tank with mains - how to you dechlorinate??

Question about drip feeding a tank with mains - how to you dechlorinate??
If drip feeding slow enough there is some argument that dechlorination is not necessary as any chlorine/chloramine will be quickly reacted away by tank organics/salts. Possibly OK depending on amount of water added.

Normally, if doing drip filling properly, you would automatically fill water butt with mains water, automatically dose dechlorinator then drip feed, using a peristaltic pump from the butt to the tank. Has the advantage that mains pressure water is kept away from the tank and you can use multiple valves on the mains water (electric and a float valve) to provide redundancy against flooding. Just needs a water butt, float sensor at bottom to detect it is empty, float sensor and ball float valve at top to turn water off when full, a relay to hold water fill on to fill butt once empty and a timed relay to dose dechlorinator.

You will also need an overflow (+backup safety overflow) to drain water excess water as you add more water. This type of thing is very common in the marine world, made more complicated as generally use RO water and have to add salt to water as well.

… peristaltic pump … multiple valves … water butt, float sensor at bottom … float sensor and ball float valve at top … relay to hold water fill on … timed relay to dose dechlorinator … overflow (+backup safety overflow) …
****** on a bike! I think it would be easier to do water changes with a chipped mug than set all that lot up. ;)

****** on a bike! I think it would be easier to do water changes with a chipped mug than set all that lot up. ;)
But some people like to use these type things. Once built and setup just does water changes without any intervention. No use of chipped mugs, no buckets of water going through the house water changes all done from comfort of your arm chair.

Not to sure how you cope with all the debris that accumulates in a high tech tank. Below is the detritus I seem to vacuum out weekly from my 180l tank.

upload_2017-1-27_11-17-56.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-27_11-17-33.png
    upload_2017-1-27_11-17-33.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 148
syphoned hosepipe into the bath for me! then mixer tap to refill while dosing with aquasafe..

I also don't feel comfortable about applying dechlorinator directly to the tank. So this is the method I use. Yes, I still have to lift the 12l bucket but that's OK. I also use the same long hose (about 10 metres perhaps) to vacuum and drain the tank to the backyard. My tank is 340 litres, the water change is 66% weekly. The draining and filling process takes about 45 min.

wc.jpg

Last edited:
If you have good circulation with decent filtration you still have all this settle?
Can you strike a balance of plants and fish that don't need the substrate/bottom vacuuming?

But some people like to use these type things. Once built and setup just does water changes without any intervention. No use of chipped mugs, no buckets of water going through the house water changes all done from comfort of your arm chair.

Not to sure how you cope with all the debris that accumulates in a high tech tank. Below is the detritus I seem to vacuum out weekly from my 180l tank.

View attachment 102382

Back