• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Monolithic retreat - For FREE - everything must Go

While cleaning up the mess from the failed filter. And all the plumbing, I found a colony of Hydra (200). They were not visible as were sheltered by the prefilter block.
I do enjoy watching them catching micro worms. Should I leave them in there, as they are just in one spot halfway up the glass,

Has anyone else had any probs with the APS corner filter. Mine is soooo Loud and can feel the vibrations in the Stand

A bit down this evening, My New male Halfmoon LF Giant Male Juvi died. He succum to a sudden bacterial infection, had only bought him on sunday afternoon.

New filter arrived this morning as well as sag.
Very pleased with the filter. Able to midify the filter chambers to what I want them to have. And great for for an Internal.
Went for the Superfish Aqua 400 XL. And Took out the Carbon and filled the section with the Pads from the APS corner.
Then Added the Cermanic Rings mixed in with the ones that came with it. Were a bit too big, So have chucked al load of rings on the substrate for shrimp and critters. And they will become covered with Moss slowly. Fitted the spray bar and Really like the easy flow reducer.
Not bad for £20 delivered. And very low wattage consumption.

Sag All arrived and it is huge, So tied them in bunches to some black pebbles and scattered them in the nooks between the monoliths. And then rested a few bunches to the tops of the slates. So that they are swaying in the flow. Really like the effect it has created. Pipes and halfbeaks will like it i think.

Going to get my camera and equipment tonight, so will take some pix. Tank is just the right color now, with all the taninns from the Alder Cones and IAL. Nice and Moody

Managed to get a few pix.
Heart in my mouth moment last night. Went to get the new car looked over by my mechanic. And when I got back later in the evening. All the power was off and Nothing on the Circuit board to say anything was wrong. Cue a franctic search of all the pugs to make sure nothing had tripped. Then Saw that a few things were out of place. And dawned on me that I had left the garage unlocked. And that dad had been in there. And Cut the main Power line supplying it from the house. So had to get it rewired into the Mains.

Air Pumps plugged in and on max flow overnight. Will see what has died this morning Shortly.

A few pix, Had covered all the windows with a Blanket but still a little glare and alot of reflection. Will try again once completely dark later this evening.

Adding Cuttlefish has made a real difference to the fish and shrimp. shrimp spend alot of time on it grazing and so do the guppies.

058_zps17ac1120.jpg

053_zps16000733.jpg

really like how the sag looks
049_zps158882fc.jpg

Live food Update:
I now have Glass worms on Order to try and breed them in the garage.
Found an Petshop in Cov, that can order as much live food as I need everyweek. Just have to tell them on a monday morning, and food will be in on tuesday afternoon. And at 40-60pence a bag it is very good.
In the Daphnia Bucket, I know have lots of baby waterboatmen. Going to move them into a larger bin later on.
Brine Shrimp are doing very well, and most of the females have large egg sacs. They are doing very well on the Spirulina powder and ground sakk spirulina mix.

Cannot wait for the fish to come on Tuesday, so looking forward to unpacking everything. And bettas for new breeding plans arrive on wednesday.

Also found out that I know both the guys who are opening a new LFS in coventry(221 Sewall Highway) on the 24th august, Will be popping in on Opening Day.

Not Much to Update, Wont be on here as much as I would like. Things at home are not getting any better, so sadly me and the wife have decided to move out. Mum is going to have one of her houses emptied for us, so still a few months away.
I think it will be better for us to be out of this situation, especially after recent escalting events.

Tank is doing well, just had to treat with Panacur as the hydra were on every peice of hardscape. Treatment worked fully with 2 doses over 3 days. And a Big Water change. Did not loose any of the Sakuras, which was really good.

Plants are doing very well, and All the anubias are sending out big leaves. Hydrocotyle is growing Emersed now on the surface and the way in which the light filters through it is lovely.
Guppies have started dropping fry and the halfbeaks have been having a field day hunting them out.

Been to the BCA auction today to cheer myself up. And So Glad I went, Got some absolute cracking fish - Red Devil Rams + Gold Rams Pairs all for £12, 8 Peruvian Scalare for £5.00 and a Big bag Manzita for a tenner.

And Finally we have some positive action happening at home. Although I wish the incident had not occured, the result is that DAD has been kicked out and restrictions are in place to keep him away from us. He has to got to court for spousal abuse and parental abuse. He assaulted Mum and Great Gran. We are so Happy that My neice spent the whole day with us on saturday and we actually got to play with her. Without worrying about dad being a pain.
Mum is getting loads of support from the police and womens shelter. And the ball is rolling to force the courts hand into getting Dad the help he needs with his Mental Health.
The Last 4 Months have been Hell for us, and those of you that know me personally. I am so Relieved that we are getting somewhere. It has been heartwrenching to see mum sitting in the police station making statements and telling them about the years of abuse he has put us all through. But we are moving on as family and have written DAD out of our hearts and minds once and for All.

had a little accident, was giving the media baskets a quick rinse. and went to connect them back up and did not see the sparkling gourami swim in. Poor little thing got crushed against the back wall of the filter :(

Here are some pix - all taken with my new Experia L - takes some cracking shots
Hydrocotyle growing nicely.
DSC_0198_zps53e8dc7f.jpg

DSC_0199_zpsb569227d.jpg

Can you spot the Gourami in the floating plants?
DSC_0266_zpsa419f9b9.jpg

A few quick snaps of the Platinum red tailed Halfbeaks, Lovely fish with loads of character. Have trained them to take food from a pipette. Sadly one is blind, but does not hinder it eating.
DSC_0212_zps22e87447.jpg

DSC_0215_zps2b3f1b8f.jpg

You can see some of the female guppies grouped together, they use this area for birthing young.
DSC_0236_zps85596323.jpg

The Red Devil (Red Headed Gold) Rams are coloring up nicely today and exploring the tank. And £15 for 2 pairs is a nice little bargain. The finnage is such a bright red today, can really see why they are a new color morph of the Gold Rams. Did not win the Orange Cap Electric Blues though.
DSC_0228_zpsa74f7b37.jpg

DSC_0257_zps8ba429d2.jpg

Angels all huddled together, today they are out and about more - I am going to monitor how the sparkling gouramies interact. As have had them gang up on angels in the past and rip off the ventrals.
DSC_0260_zpscf0a9beb.jpg

I will post the other journal started over the weekend soon, as that is my SB OHMRT Dumbo Betta Breeding Project with HM and RT females.

Oh and might try marines (pico) again as there is a new LFS 2 mins from my house.

I had to cancel the pipefish, as we were going to be moving suddenly. As that has been averted will be ordering them in the next month or so, while they are in season.

Nope hardly much in there compared to my normal stocking levels. Angels wont be staying though, they were an impulse simply due to the price of them.
Will move them to another tank in the future.
My tanks are overfiltered - just a couple of high capacity internals for now. Untill I find another bargain External. This was being filtered by a 10 Litre External untill it sprang a Leak.

Ah, ok. I wasn't thinking about the filters, more about swimming space or the lack thereof. I don't think any animal likes overcrowding.

Done some trimming today. And Replanted some of the marginal plants. Want the effect of my Hairgrass tank with the Rannanculus growing up around and down the sides of the tank. Not sure why, but this time round it is not getting dense root growth, even with added ferts.
Still on the lookout for a decent external for a bargain price. The Superfish Internal is playing up, so have emailed aquadistri for advice. The Filter compartment keeps sliding out of place. The little clip is not holding it in place, Shame really as otherwise a decent internal that can be heavily modded.
Looked at an FX5 but over £200 is not going to happen. All the Insurance money has been eaten up in car repairs on 2 of the family cars.
Have noticed a bit of nesting behaviour in the Sparklers, so could have fry soon. They spend most of their time in the floaters and under the Foam Lotus'. I have to say, I really like these little beauties. For £1 they are great and so colorful.

Still not found a new external, been outbid on 5 so far.
Decided to treat myself to some new lighting. Went for another LED light bar, with remote and multi function sequencing.
Oh and back to the working world on monday after over a year. Excited to earn some money and save up for some new fishy toys.

Back