• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Modular Substrate

Fishsticks

I'm planning on setting up a 200l tank (possibly Iwagumi) that will need to move house with me in the future. I move quite often, every year or so. I'd rather avoid having to completely tear down and rebuilt the tank every time I move and so I've devised what I think is a cunning solution - does the fellowing make sense and has anyone tried something similar?

I plan to divide my substrate into discrete areas, each no larger than say a square foot (maybe smaller). The division needn't be regular and might follow the shape of the planting and the hardscape. For each area I'll mould a tray that is almost as deep as the substrate and a simila colour, and fill this tray with substrate to plant into. The top of each tray's edges will be concealed by plants and the very topmost layer of substrate. The trays won't quite touch the edge of the tank - I want that to be just substrate for aesthetic reasons.

Rather than pulling out plants one by one and replanting, I'll just lift out each tray in turn and leave the plants in the substrate. I can put the planted trays into bags/boxes and then just drop them back into their original location when I've positioned the tank in the new house.

Obviously there will still be some collateral damage, but if I'm careful with the packaged trays it should hopefully be less than digging up and replanting.

Does this sound like a good idea or am I overlooking something? So long as the trays are reasonably large I can't imagine that they'll be too bad for plant growth - perhaps a little around the edges?

You could just drain the tank down and leave the plants in with just substrate and a tiny amount of water and move the tank complete. Just remove fish, save around 40-50% of the water and transport them separately. Then cover the top of the tank in cling film to keep the humidity up and transport the tank as is. If you use large stones them maybe removes them and transport them separately so they don't roll and smash into the glass, or wedge them with rolled up bubble wrap to stop them moving. Would save all the hassle with trays. Will depend how far you'll be moving though!

Another option, but one that will reduce your scaping options, would be to only have plant tied to hardscape. You could still make a great tank from various mosses, riccia, anubias and ferns. When you moved these could all simply be lifter out, bagged up, the tank drained and then replaced without major disturbance when the tank is set up again.

Would it really be feasible to move a 200l tank with the subsrtate in place? I was sure I'd end up with a broken tank!

Foxfish, I guess I'm thinking of doingg something similar to you but just with much larger pots!

You'd be fine with the substrate in place, done it myself a few times. It's the water that makes the weight. Just put a large tube into the base of the tank and drain out as much water as possible. You should only leave 10kgs of water in the substrate and that's not going to stop you lifting it or damage the tank.

Back