• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Mixing JBL and Ada aquasoils

LMuhlen

Member
Joined
23 Mar 2022
Messages
27
Location
Brazil
I'm planning to rebuild my tank and was going to use 2 bags of JBL plantsoil, but my LFS only had one bag, so I bought one bag of Ada Amazonia II as well.

Should I mix both, or use one on top of the other? Anyone with experience with both, is one better to plant than the other, to keep on top?
 

Wookii

Member
Joined
13 Nov 2019
Messages
3,271
Location
Nottingham
I'd just mix them together, bearing in mind all the usual caveats that Amazonia leaches ammonia at the start (unsure of whether the JBL product does too or not).
 

Hanuman

Member
Joined
4 Jan 2019
Messages
1,452
Location
Thailand
I'm planning to rebuild my tank and was going to use 2 bags of JBL plantsoil, but my LFS only had one bag, so I bought one bag of Ada Amazonia II as well.

Should I mix both, or use one on top of the other? Anyone with experience with both, is one better to plant than the other, to keep on top?
Amazonia II doesn't leach as much as Amazonia I. In any case it's ok to mix, doesn't matter much. Soil is soil after all. Only issue might be the color and granule size mismatch but if you re ok with that then I would say it's all good. Plants will grow for sure.

I don't usually mix substrates because I usually have enough of one type but after some time I will replace certain sections of my soil which I will replace with whatever I have available (Amazonia, Black Earth, Master Soil, CrazyStone).
 

Hanuman

Member
Joined
4 Jan 2019
Messages
1,452
Location
Thailand
Inerestingly, I just reset my 60cm tank last night. Tank was filthy and required some makeover although it was done not that long ago. So I removed the old substrate which was already a hybrid mix of old BlackEarth+Amazonia+MasterSoil, washed it with tap water to remove all the dust and added it back partially. Although I removed some of the bacteria with the wash, there are still quite a bit left in there. Then I created several layers with the last bag of BlackEarth I had and top it of with yet more hybrid substrate. I went a bit overboard with the thickness since I now have 3inches worth of substrate, but oh well, it will just lasts longer!

IMG_7930.JPG
IMG_7931.JPG
IMG_7932.JPG
IMG_7936.JPG
 
Top