• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Miserable attempt at growing Cuba....

mzm

Have been trying to grow cuba over the past three weeks. This is what was left of about five pots two weeks ago.... there is even less now.

Plant just want grow and stays static till it finally gets dislodged. Poor leaves and colour. I have a spraybar pushing co2 right over it..... EI dosing and Nitrogen+. TMC LED lights right on top of this spot.....

003nh.jpg

002oyl.jpg

001iyh.jpg

I have hated HC cuba with such a passion. Four times I've attempted to grow the stuff and every time it fails on me. Fifth time it's worked. Slowly bedding in and spreading and now I understand why everyone loves it.

Didn't do anything different from failed attempts except for one thing - how much plant per clump. Some people say you should plant each "stem" separately. I say "I have a life". However, I did go for very very small clumps, no more than would fit comfortably into the tips of a pair of tweezers.

Dunno if that's what made the difference. Also been squirting it with excel which it seems to like.

hotweldfire said:
Didn't do anything different from failed attempts except for one thing - how much plant per clump. Some people say you should plant each "stem" separately. I say "I have a life". However, I did go for very very small clumps, no more than would fit comfortably into the tips of a pair of tweezers.

that sounds like a great tip!!

I've tried 4 times now, with no success, while my the HC I pulled out after one of my attempts goes ballistic in my propagator!!

The weird thing is that I do not seem to have issues growing glosso which I have been told is as demanding as HC.....

First Post!!!

Maybe your gravel/substrate isn't fine enough. I normally get poor growth when starting normally. I've found that the DSM(dry start method) really helps, especially when trying to get it to root. Hope this helps :D

Cheers,
Neil

I have had one failure in a 55g and now i have a nice carpet in my nano. I planted my 55g with tiny bunches is stems and individual stems but it failed.
So i planted the nano as per the tropica website, stimmed all around the rockwool which halved the quantity i had. Snip off all spare rock wool from bottom stopping at the roots so about 1cm rockwool left. Then neatly cut this into six portions all on a cube of rockwool. It has taken really quickly in Manado substrate, which is rubbish in my opinion. Ive also had no floating with this method.

Back