• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Microsorum pteropus black leaves

Dolll

Seedling
Hi,
I have a problem with my Microsorum Pteropus. All the leaves become black little by little and afterwards there are holes in these leaves. Is it a problem of light (I have a medium light: 2 x Eheim Power LED 4800 Lumen), of CO2, of fertilizer ?
Thanks for your answers.

4.jpg

How old is the tank? I experienced java doing this quite a long time sheding it's older leaves.. It might be addaption to the new invironment, new growth doesn't show it.. Take a look at the underside of the leave, it could be propagating new little plantlets, these leaves usualy die off slowly while the little plantlets get bigger. I guess the new plantlets are feeding off the mother leave and suck it empty.

Anyway i lost about 80% of all old java leaves in the first year and new leaves stay healthy. It's an easy plant once it is addapted.. Could be anything, neeeding addaption to different light or water parameters. I realy can't say.. What you see is what you get, just focus on the new growth and how this holds on.. Java is so slow it's a bad indicator, if other faster growing plants do well makes the guess even more difficult. :)

Can't remember where I've read it but someone had the same problem and the one who'd answered was an old timer.

He said it was a CO2 deficiency.

I didn't have a pressurised system then and yes, the tips of mine (I have a few variants) were going black too but now that I'm dosing EI and have a pressurised system, they're fine.

By the way, I've had mine for about half a year now. They've lost a few leaves here and there but most of what I see are still the old ones just in case anyone's wondering about mine being all new leaves.

When it comes to low tech with only very little co2 maybe 2 ppm than it is very easy and obvious to say it's a co2 deficiency for any kind of plant..
But Microsurm can handle this without much problems.. Thing is this plant is just very slow and low co2 makes it even slower, not only in growing but also in addapting. Doesn't realy matter what you get, if it was cultured emersed or submersed.. If submersed cultured it might not need a transition but still needs to addapt to the new parameters it is put in.. In many cases this will make it shed some older leaves. And the new leaves developed ar grown in and there for addapted to the new invironment.

This goes for all plants you switch to an invironment with different parameters. :) And each sp. reacts in its own way to it..

Back