• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Micronutrient toxicity.. or deficiency.. ? Pls help.

I think this could be a consequence of how you dose the fertilizer!
Not how much;)
hoggie
Hi.. been a while.. anyway thanks for the reply. But before I go on to what has happened after this thread I would like to understand what u mean by how u dose ur fert? Is that like whether I premix or directly add them to the tank? Not very clear.
Anyway I am going out on a limb to say that what I experienced was def nutrient toxicity. In the beginning it was micro and later on the rotala burn was due to high nitrate. I have even had high phosphates killing off a few plants although not as bad as nitrates.. and I am a pathologist by profession (MD).. what I am trying to say is that I have observed these changes in unbiased scientific manner as possible and have concluded thus.
Now.. I have completely torn down the scape and have rescaped it. I have started with a very restricted macro and micro dosing. And with the same or albeit lesser amt of co2 the plants are thriving. Ludwigia senegalensis used to die a gruesome death in my previous 5 or so attempts.. shooting off leaves now. Walichi s tip just burnt away earlier and now its pink and lush. All the plants look healthy..
I am not denying that co2 is a key key factor.. but I am also convinced that the plants need very little ferts to do really well. Have subsequently planted more densely yesterday with a mc carpet and staurogyne repens at one corner. Will update as and when they grow bigger.
69a61a1fcb6fc307b5c248400a2526f1.jpg
2e1a12951984f17463bb77bb64ece045.jpg
459bc1370bef76d0e06e8b81c3e7c29c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Hi
I think this could be a consequence of how you dose the fertilizer!
Not how much;)

On occasions if I dose Liquid Micro fertilizers too near certain plants...they tend to get burnt shrunken leaves!
Especially Rotala sp rotundifiola!
hoggie

Ok.. got your point. Its a 100 gallon tank with 21 inches height. So the ferts are delivered on the water surface and there is now way of directly hitting one specific plant. And I observed these changes at various positions in the tank, that's how I concluded that co2 was not the cause. I understand that there will be a lot of opposition to my findings.. but this was just my experience. And I use dry ferts for macros and flourish for micros. After a long time I saw pearling today even at the corners where light was not that strong. So I am really looking forward to growing these plants in a healthy manner..

That post was in german.. :) but anyways my point is that not only senegalensis, several other plants like aromatica and even rotala had the same fate in my tank earlier. But I may be counting my chicks before they have hatched. Let my plants grow well and then I will show u before and after pics. Then probably I can justify better what I am trying to say. Not saying that this is the absolute truth.. its what I experienced.. it took me 4 yrs to figure this out. And I almost gave up at one point. But now with this new hope I keep looking at my tank any moment I am in the house which is actually driving the missus mad. Will keep this page posted.

Some snaps I took yest.
Rotala h ra.. emerged form
Myriophyllum mattogrossense and Hygrophila difformis
Hydrocotyle tripartita honda and Lobelia cardinalis
Full tank shot with MC carpet just planted.

3a36c415052d6383873455ba832d1533.jpg
1a320156a381e1b16278a3481c9eddec.jpg
42de96c4baeb32c505611094c77e0bb4.jpg
3ada378ff9e3c9f25438548173723d73.jpg

Back