• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mg defiency, how much to dose?

sort of. it's on my filter output @MrClockOff
Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 17.16.30.png

Unless you recently trimmed it down considerably, and considering this is a CO2 injected tank, I would have excepted way more growth from these plants after a year.
it's been trimmed countless times haha. this is after full replanting a week or two ago.

it's been trimmed countless times haha.
OK Good .. it kind of looks like it was planted week ago :)

this is after full replanting a week or two ago.
Ok, that piece of info might be helpful for the experts... I might suggest that the plants are just adapting after being replanted and you just need to wait it out a bit. ... but checking into the CO2/flow situation never hurts.

Ha never seen that before. Can you see loads of CO2 bubbles at the substrate. Bubbles may all escape to the surface and not reaching the substrate
can see bubbles all the way around the tank. pointed downwards so it gets to the substrate well.

Just an observation from your journal My 12G softwater which I assume is the same tank? In the last 3~4 weeks you seem to have changed from a lily pipe on the left, to a spraybar and now with your current outlet setup, maybe this inconsistency is contributing to the problems you're having. BTW this is just me thinking out loud.

Just an observation from your journal My 12G softwater which I assume is the same tank? In the last 3~4 weeks you seem to have changed from a lily pipe on the left, to a spraybar and now with your current outlet setup, maybe this inconsistency is contributing to the problems you're having. BTW this is just me thinking out
not practicing what I preach. I see 🤣. I always say consistency is the key to healthy plants. I'll keep that in mind. thanks!

Last edited:
small update. upped magnesium from 7ppm-10ppm. and started dosing mgso4 during the week as well. didn't change anything else. already see improvement.
IMG_2800.JPG

small update. upped magnesium from 7ppm-10ppm. and started dosing mgso4 during the week as well. didn't change anything else. already see improvement.View attachment 173799
@plantnoobdude Definitely progress - Very nice! your Mg content must have been very low.

Edit: here is the post by @dw1305 re Mg content of NW Europe water: Magnesium content

Ok, your using pure RODI water so the above is not relevant for your situation, but still interesting for people using tap water and encounters a similar problems caused by Mg deficiency.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
perhaps the demands of a high-tech tank were higher than I thought. After all magnesium is a secondary macro nutrient.
Edit: here is the post by @dw1305 re Mg content of NW Europe water: Magnesium content

Ok, your using pure RODI water so the above is not relevant for your situation, but still interesting for people using tap water an encounters a similar problems caused my Mg deficiency.

Cheers,
Michael
thanks for the nice read!

Back