• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Media Separator

ER Man

Seedling
I am setting up a 60" x 30" x 18" discus tank, converting from marine. I will be using John Innes No3 as a base layer and then Silver sand on top. What i would like opinions on is the method used to keep them apart. I was thinking of using filter wool matting as this would stop the JI from leaching into the sand/water when removing/planting plants?

I've used a fibre-glass netting/mesh to good effect before. It's made for mosquito netting here in my country. It does have its drawback, when plants grow roots deep enough to penetrate the mesh, pulling out the plants will probably pull the mesh out as well, so have you be real careful when uprooting plants.

Thanks for the reply guys. I was going to use something like that, greenhouse matting, but thought the JI would filter through. So I take it filter floss mat would be ok, it wont cause any problems?

Back