• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Media help

Low tech planted tank i can't decide what media to get for my fluval 307 currently got a mix of random ceramic that I've had for over 6+ years
The one argument for getting ceramic/ sintered glass over sponges is that ceramic/ sintered glass last a really long time. For example, I have a bag of Eheim SubstratPro that came with my first Eheim filter 10++ years ago. The media is still good for use now.

Therefore, I'm not sure why you think you need to buy new filter media if your current media is 6 years old?

Hi all,
It's good to differentiate between heterotrophic (decomposing) microbes and nitrifying..........
I think this is really important. Ideally I want <"dissolved oxygen and ammonia"> (the "fuel" for nitrification) entering my filter, I don't want any organic carbon rich substrates that are going to cause heterotrophic bacteria (and their oxygen demand) to multiply. I like the <"Biochemical Oxygen Demand (BOD) concept">, even though it is another parameter that <"we can't really measure">.

If we can get <"more dissolved oxygen"> into the system we can deal with bigger bioloads.
Think about your substrate and plant mass as a superior biological filter, then compare the mass of your substrate vs the mass of your filtration system. Your filtration system, unless you have a large sump, will only have a minuscule impact on biological filtration.

Mechanical filtration for nutrient distribution and oxygenation is crucial for sure. But thats pretty much it.
I think that is it. Personally I don't care where nitrification takes place. I have a filter and a substrate (which I try <"not to disturb">), but I just want a system that is <"flexible and resilient">, but I'm too bothered about the role of the individual components.

cheers Darrel

Back