• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Measuring kH

Genahanney

Hello.
If, when measuring kH and 1 drop is enough that the light turns yellow, then kH is 0? Then, is it necessary to do -1 in any dimension? If it turned yellow by the 6th drop, then dKH 5?
Thank you.

If one drop is enough, it means that your KH is between 0 and 1. Two drops mean 2 dKH, etc. If you need better resolution, use double the amount of water and divide the result by two.
Occasionally after WC's, just to verify that my KH is keeping steady around 0.5 KH, I measure using this approach but instead triple the sample size and divide the drop count by 3. The problem is that the reagent, at that level of dilution, makes it very hard to appreciate the change in color when measuring in the very low KH range (0-1) - holding the test tube up against a white piece of paper or a white paper towel preferably in daylight helps a lot. Of course it only yields a +/- 0.33 KH precision, but thats good enough - I just want to measure something between 0 and <1...

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Back