• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Maq's Substrate Experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always understood that ada amazonia (ver 1) is atypical and has no peers, but this is only from what I've read/seen. Version 2 is more akin to tropica, dennerle, etc...

Is there anything to learn from MJ on YouTube? He did something similar I believe.

What do you think of using Osmocote for this experiment in light of this? Quote: We do not recommend using Scotts Osmocate Plus in an aquarium because it is not designed for that use and the time release would be destroyed by soaking in water.

I would be interested as I thought that's what DIY Root tabs are typically made of? Unless I'm mistaken...

I've watched it and it makes me to admit Fluval Stratum into consideration. What is general opinion on this one?

Nah, stick with what you've already listed.

What do you think of using Osmocote for this experiment in light of this? Quote: We do not recommend using Scotts Osmocate Plus in an aquarium because it is not designed for that use and the time release would be destroyed by soaking in water.

Lots of people use it for root tab fertilisation, so the experiment is still valid - but (and without wishing to pre-empt your experiment) the much faster dissolution under water is the reason I think they can cause a lot off issues in an aquarium.

the experiment is still valid
Yes, I think so. I'd better use only quite moderate amount, so that not to make the test invalid due to the argument "you've used too much of it".
A few posts back we've arrived at 110 pcs for a tank of given size. I think one third, i.e. 35 to 40 pcs could be considered "moderate"? Or even less?

A few posts back we've arrived at 110 pcs for a tank of given size.

I wouldn't worry about being too exact - I have a mental image of you counting Osmocote balls with a tiny pair of tweasers 😂 Like both John and I suggested - if you have the commercial product in the gel capsules, two capsules emptied out evenly onto the base of the tank will be fine I'm sure.

so that not to make the test invalid due to the argument "you've used too much of it".

I shouldn't worry, I don't think anyone around here is going to be trying to shoot holes in your results, you've been around here long enough to know that most of us are more likely to 'doff our caps' in your direction for going to the effort of running the experiment.

Have you made a decision on the substrate choice for the 4th tank yet? I did find it interesting in that MJ video, that @Miniandy linked to above, that the most successful tank was the one with the pond soil sub-layer. I assume that the pond soils are biologically active, not sterile, so perhaps that contributed to quicker tank maturation.

Have you made a decision on the substrate choice for the 4th tank yet? I did find it interesting in that MJ video, that @Miniandy linked to above, that the most successful tank was the one with the pond soil sub-layer. I assume that the pond soils are biologically active, not sterile, so perhaps that contributed to quicker tank maturation.
Pond Soil: There's no supplier of it in my vicinity, and if yes, then it's <Local Brand> pond soil. There could be hardly any comparison with globally available soils. I'd rather stick to one (complete) substrate per tank, and that substrate should be well known around the (Western) world. ADA, Tropica, Fluval, JBL, Seachem, Dennerle, Tetra ... brands like these.
The Fourth Tank: A few weeks ago, @Simon Cole shared with me an extremely interesting idea on improving the substrate. I can't resist temptation to try it within this experiment, so it's likely to be that. For now, I don't want to describe the details. If it proves to be of any good, I'll share the method, of course. And if not, I'll keep it as just one more Maq's crazy experiment. :)

The Fourth Tank: A few weeks ago, @Simon Cole shared with me an extremely interesting idea on improving the substrate

Come on man, cards on the table!! 🧐
Rabbit Droppings???
IMG_6968.jpg

I wonder how to cycle the tanks to make the results comparable, fair. The issue in question is ammonia (and other compounds) leaking from aquasoil. I don't care for 'cycling' in the other tanks:
(1) Plain Silica Sand - no danger of ammonia.
(2) Osmocote - the danger is part of the very method.
(3) Aqua Soil - Daily water changes are recommended in the beginning. Either I follow this instruction, but then comparability with other tanks is compromised. Or I don't, and then I use the substrate in a wrong way. I consider dry cycling (of all the tanks) - adding water just to make the substrate wet, half submerged, half in contact with air. What do you think about such a solution?
(4) Maq's Secret Weapon - Here, too, dry cycling is perhaps the best way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back