• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Low tech tank pictures

Aquadream said:
There is one more. Some will say it''s not low tech, because i used some Easy carbo for algae prevention, but I think that's all semantics.
The tank is with used Amazonia capped with Aquatic nature shrimp soil. It is what I had at the time I made this nano.
Ferts are Easy Life Profito and Potassium. Easy carbo in tiny amounts as algae prevention.
Hang on external filter from price range around 15£.
Light PL 11W and LED 10W, because it was also what I had in handy. I didn't want to spend for proper light on that one.
No CO2, no CO2 checker, no tests of any kind.
Picnicspot.jpg

What carpet is that? Looks awesome :thumbup:

Aquadream said:
There is one more. Some will say it''s not low tech, because i used some Easy carbo for algae prevention, but I think that's all semantics.
The tank is with used Amazonia capped with Aquatic nature shrimp soil. It is what I had at the time I made this nano.
Ferts are Easy Life Profito and Potassium. Easy carbo in tiny amounts as algae prevention.
Hang on external filter from price range around 15£.
Light PL 11W and LED 10W, because it was also what I had in handy. I didn't want to spend for proper light on that one.
No CO2, no CO2 checker, no tests of any kind.
Picnicspot.jpg

this is no way 'low tech' sorry but aquatic soil, ferts and liquid co2 aswell as filtration and decent lighting is not lo tech
id expect your average lo tech to be either top soil topped with gravel minimal filtration with minimal water changes no additional ferts and no liquid co2, thats not to say your tank is 'high tech' but not everything fits into just 2 categories.

doesnt take away from the fact its a stunning tank. congratulations :clap:

Nice set-ups, I'm jealous, their all a lot cleaner looking than mine. o_O

Martin.

Troi said:
Ady34 said:
Troi said:
What about this one?

fts-1.jpg

verticalphoto.jpg

sideon.jpg

Hi troi, any links to that tank please as i would like to read more about it again. I remember seeing it before but cant remember what it was called or if it was a journal. Its a beaut.
Thanks,
Ady.

Thanks, the link is viewtopic.php?f=35&t=19761 but unfortunately I moved the photos.
Congrats on the pfk article, i opened this months magazine and was like... i know that tank!

davem said:
Ady34 said:
Congrats on the pfk article, i opened this months magazine and was like... i know that tank!

We can put a face to the name now. Looking forward to reading this later :thumbup:

Thanks guys, believe it or not I haven't actually seen it yet; I'm hoping to get a copy Monday :D

awtong said:
This is my low tech 450l Vision. No CO2, sand substrate with root tabs and the occasional dose of liquid ferts. I have only dosed ferts once a week for a few weeks as the plant mass has gone up.

100_0885.jpg

Andy

Beautiful tank you have :thumbup:

My sons low-energy soil substrate tank...no ferts...no nothing, except neglect. Arcadia Ellipse 24w T5 light - 4hrs on - 4hrs siesta - 4 hrs on, and an All Ponds Solution canister filter. It was a half hour scape thrown together a couple of months ago; the plants have grown really well mostly from cuttings. Excuse the naff photography.

Kaistank.jpg

Wow Troi,...that looks awesome. I suppose it's got your personal recipe as its substrate? I am not familiar with the fluval Roma,... :oops: How deep is the tank?

faizal said:
Wow Troi,...that looks awesome. I suppose it's got your personal recipe as its substrate? I am not familiar with the fluval Roma,... :oops: How deep is the tank?

Hi faizal, thanks, the substrate is 1:1 mix of J Arthur Bowers aquatic compost and moss peat. The high organic matter content of the mix provides CO2 as it decomposes; IMO a significant enough amount to enhance plant growth. Plus it has a high CEC.

The tank measures 60 x 35 x H45 cm http://uk.hagen.com/Aquatic/Aquariums/F ... Sets/15405

sarahtermite said:
That is beautiful - all the plants look so lush and algae-free. I want it!

That's kind of you to say so, the plants are all doing well, no real deficiencies that I can detect, and surprisingly algae free (but not totally) despite 24watts of T5; IMO T8 lighting is better suited to a low-energy tank.

It did have algae issues but I reduced the photoperiod and increased the siesta period, plus the taller plants - Vallis and Hygrophila - have spread across the surface creating shade. I also have Aponogeton natans throwing out floating leaves; not only does it provide shade it also gives the plant the aerial advantage - and it looks amazing too. Ottos and Amano shrimp also help.

Otto72 said:
Just goes to show what you can achieve with hardly any effort, looks amazing!
Whats the plant in the very left hand corner?

Thanks, I try to choose the right plants from the outset, then they as good as look after themselves. However, experimenting with species that aren't supposed to work well can prove surprising.

Whitey89 said:
Otto72 said:
Just goes to show what you can achieve with hardly any effort, looks amazing!
Whats the plant in the very left hand corner?

Looks to be Hydrocoytle sp. 'Japan', otto mate. Looks well!

You are right it is Hydrocotyle sp 'Japan', and it has spread from a couple of small cuttings, so it's made itself at home and is doing well, thanks.

This is short video of my 54l aquarium (about 2 months old). No CO2, no ferts.
Just plant substrate, JBL e701, 2 x 13W T5 765, RCS, Amano shrimps and otto.

Finally got around to mine...........

I need to add more plants at the back and some more stem/floating ones.

2ex35o5.jpg

Back