• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Low tech, fairly heavily planted, heavily stocked - how much and when?

Hi just a quick update, the leaves decaying isn't decay. The Amano shrimp are eating them! I found a few other threads on here with exactly the same situation.
@Muso1981 Yes, Amanos are known to munch on certain healthy plants - I don't know the specifics of which - I assume they have to be thin and soft leaves. My Neocaridina davidi only eat the decaying plant leaves that I miss during trimming - so far, at least, I haven't seen signs of predation on any healthy leaves.
Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Hi @MichaelJ it wasn't something I expected and isn't something I'd read up online. Yes these are soft leaf plants they are eating. My tank hasn't had any algae for then to eat in a while so perhaps I need to add some kind of shrimp food?

Hi @MichaelJ it wasn't something I expected and isn't something I'd read up online. Yes these are soft leaf plants they are eating. My tank hasn't had any algae for then to eat in a while so perhaps I need to add some kind of shrimp food?
@Muso1981 You can try and supplement with some dried algae wafers. I don't have any experience with Amano shrimps, but given how many people that keep Amanos in their planted tanks, I could imagine that they would only go for the plants when other food sources are limited.
Cheers,
Michael

Back